Yaffee Monkey Bars

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

ScrubCycles

I have a set of Yaffee Bars that are eating up wires. We stripped the wires, and still can not get them all the way through without slicing them all to hell. I know these are not the easiest to do, but this looks to be a flaw on the inside of the bars. Anyone else had this issue?

Opunui

Those are the worst I have ever seen. Lots of folks here will chime in on the problems. Make sure you stagger your soldered joints.

Big Evil

Site Supporter
I had the same problem with my 10" monkey bars.
only on the throttle side, ended up cleaning up the inside of the bar with an 18" burr bit.
cleand up the point inside the bars where it makes that sharp trun. mine had slag from welding.
after that the wires pulled right thriugh with plenty of lube.

Wanna Ride

Yep, I had the same problem with my 10" monkey bars, especially on the throttle side. Fought, cussed, kicked, screamed, threw wrenches... I even think I cried once or twice. Used about 3 pounds of lube too. Absolutely worst experience I've ever had with swapping bars.

But that was a year ago, I got through several months of therapy, and they look totally bitchin' now.

jrbonniwell

Site Supporter
Those bars are the worst!!.. I've done 8-10 and i've found that the best way to pull them is to use some small chain (like you would use to hang a light) and tape it up the wires about 6-8",the tape grips the links really well so it doesn't slip. Just drop the chain through the bars and rotate them so it will fish its way out the end ( really easy actually). On the bottom of the bars @ the 90 I use a pick to hold the wires away from the sharp edge then just pull the chain on one end and push from the other. Maybe i've been lucky but since I started doing it this way it's gone pretty easy.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Those bars are the worst!!.. I've done 8-10 and i've found that the best way to pull them is to use some small chain (like you would use to hang a light) and tape it up the wires about 6-8",the tape grips the links really well so it doesn't slip. Just drop the chain through the bars and rotate them so it will fish its way out the end ( really easy actually). On the bottom of the bars @ the 90 I use a pick to hold the wires away from the sharp edge then just pull the chain on one end and push from the other. Maybe i've been lucky but since I started doing it this way it's gone pretty easy.

Good tip on the pic!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wanna Ride

Something else I've found to be very helpful (especially when doing bars by yourself), is to mount an old set of handlebar clamps to the bench. Even if you don't have an old clamp laying around, you can usually pick one up at a local indy shop or on ebay for just a couple bucks.

After you route your pulling wire/cable through, then this will allow you to clamp the bars down and work on them with two free hands. It makes a huge difference to have both hands free and the bars rigid, so you can pull/push your wires. You may have to reposition them a few times, but it's a helluva lot easier with two hands free. I've got about four holes drilled in my welding table to allow several different positions.

Of course, I came up with this idea after I finished my own bars...

Latest posts