Which 26" Tire

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

14FLHXSBOB

Ok pulling the trigger and going from 21" to 26" setup. Would really like input on which tire to put on Metz 888 or Shinko 777 or any other recommendations. I will put out there that a lot of my riding is done in 100+ temps Palm Springs, Arizona, Vegas etc so a tire that can stand up to the heat at 85+ speeds is a top priority. Thank you in advance for any help.

Baggerbill

Site Supporter
The main advantage of the shinko is that is has a lower profile. So if fender clearance is an issue, than the shinko is a better option. That being said, the Metzeler gives you a little more material which is a plus for wear and ride.

14FLHXSBOB

Baggerbill thanks for the info. A follow up question would be, the wheel will be going on my 14 SGS and I'm going to use a Bad Dad wrap fender, how much clearance do you need between the tire and the fender to allow for no rubbing. Sorry for the dumb question but this is my first time doing a 26 inch build.

Slowbagger

Site Supporter
I got a Shinko this time around mainly due to cost. Haven't rode it yet so I can't give any feedback really. Most go with 1/4" gap between tire and fender.

14FLHXSBOB

I got a Shinko this time around mainly due to cost. Haven't rode it yet so I can't give any feedback really. Most go with 1/4" gap between tire and fender.
Thanks for the info. I was just looking at the info on the Bad Dad front fender I am putting on and it states it's designed to fit a 120/50-26 and the Metzeler I ended up ordering with the wheel is a 120/55-26. It will be about a 1/4" taller so I'm hoping I will be able to oval the mounting holes a little and raise it up about a 1/4" more or else I'll have to make little extended bracket to raise it up. So are you sure on the 1/4" gap or do I need more. Sorry for the questions just want to make sure I do this right.

Baggerbill

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info. I was just looking at the info on the Bad Dad front fender I am putting on and it states it's designed to fit a 120/50-26 and the Metzeler I ended up ordering with the wheel is a 120/55-26. It will be about a 1/4" taller so I'm hoping I will be able to oval the mounting holes a little and raise it up about a 1/4" more or else I'll have to make little extended bracket to raise it up. So are you sure on the 1/4" gap or do I need more. Sorry for the questions just want to make sure I do this right.
The Bad Dad should bolt up and give you about 3/8" clearance, so you should be around 1/4" clearance with that tire. You should be fine with the mounting holes as is. All tires have a run out expansion, but these low profile have less than the stock larger profile tires. A 1/4" gap is plenty for a 26 or 30 tire.

Glide14

I'm running a 26 Shinko on my 2014 Street Glide with an American Suspension bolt on rake kit. I'm in SC and I have no issues on the interstate running 90 mph.

14FLHXSBOB

The Bad Dad should bolt up and give you about 3/8" clearance, so you should be around 1/4" clearance with that tire. You should be fine with the mounting holes as is. All tires have a run out expansion, but these low profile have less than the stock larger profile tires. A 1/4" gap is plenty for a 26 or 30 tire.
Thank you Baggerbill very much that's great news, didn't really want to have to oval it out seeing as there isn't much space between the existing holes and the bottom of the fender tab.

14FLHXSBOB

I'm running a 26 Shinko on my 2014 Street Glide with an American Suspension bolt on rake kit. I'm in SC and I have no issues on the interstate running 90 mph.
Thank you for the response. I'm so noob to the 26" setup that I have a lot of dumb questions. Just didn't know how well such a small side wall tire would handle the combination of high outside temps and high speeds.

ghile

[QUOTE = "Ferro, post: 318618, membre: 2458"]
À mon avis, le Metzler est un bien meilleur pneu.
[/CITATION]
En effet - En fait, Metzeler est un pneu Pirelli. Plutôt tendre et prévenant, donc excellent sur le sec, et assez progressif en cas de glissade.

Mr John Deuff

So I'm about to change my 26" Metzeler for the second time and I think that it's getting smooth on the side very fast. Do you think that the Shinko will last longer?

Torch

Site Supporter
I'm replacing my Avon 23 with a Shinko pretty soon as well. Been running a Shinko rear for a couple years without issue.

Latest posts