Wheel pricing

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

keebee

This is a dumb question but why are wheels 300 to 400 more going from a 23 to a 26? Looking at RC Components Holeshot Forged Wheel the 23 is 1450 and the 26 is 1750.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
The blanks cost more, more material.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I had a nice chat with Greg from Thomason just the other day about this. You wouldn't believe the cost to make some of these wheels. Chad's 3D 30" took 58 hours to final machine AFTER it was rough cut!

keebee

If you are looking for a package deal, we can help, always willing to help the loyal members of chopped and give the best deal possible - PM sent Keebee!

Will keep you in mind you sell more than just wheels which will help keep me from going to 20 different vendors for my build. Still in the planning stages want to do things once and not have to re-do them two and three times to get what I want.

RLJ676

I had a nice chat with Greg from Thomason just the other day about this. You wouldn't believe the cost to make some of these wheels. Chad's 3D 30" took 58 hours to final machine AFTER it was rough cut!

Those 3d wheels are nuts! Cutting w/ a small tool at slow speeds I can believe that.

Its crazy how much this stuff costs, to jump from a 26" to a 30" is just about double the money!

I thought Thomason was saying some 30 blanks that are more affordable are coming which should make it more reasonable.

Wanna Ride

When purchased from the material providers at the right quantities, the blanks may become less expensive. But spindle time is still spindle time. That's a lot of electricity, coolant, tool changes, set-up, etc. Not to mention, if your machine has one single hiccup or crash. If your coolant pump drops off for any reason, then you incur a hunk of cost burning up a tool, or a tool-holder, let alone if it crashes and screws up the machined part too. And if it's thru-spindle cooling, then those tools cost even more. Hell, I haven't changed a ball-screw in a Haas mill for nearly 10-11 years and IIRC, the screw alone was about $1800. And that was in a small machine... a VF1 or 2 maybe?

Bottom line is, a large machined-part is expensive. And a large, forged aluminum part is even more expensive. To be honest with you, and knowing what I know about that industry, it's hard to imagine that there's much profit in high-quality, low-volume wheels of this size. My hats off to all the guys who are designing and making them.

vrog

One of THE 150!
Those 3d wheels are nuts! Cutting w/ a small tool at slow speeds I can believe that.

I thought Thomason was saying some 30 blanks that are more affordable are coming which should make it more reasonable.

Yeah Thomason seems to have some real good deals. the 2d's are more affordable the 3d's are crazy $ like $6k by the time your done. I see some 30" 3d wheels and tires on ebay for $3500 and I'm wondering what the catch is..

T

Thomason Performance

When purchased from the material providers at the right quantities, the blanks may become less expensive. But spindle time is still spindle time. That's a lot of electricity, coolant, tool changes, set-up, etc. Not to mention, if your machine has one single hiccup or crash. If your coolant pump drops off for any reason, then you incur a hunk of cost burning up a tool, or a tool-holder, let alone if it crashes and screws up the machined part too. And if it's thru-spindle cooling, then those tools cost even more. Hell, I haven't changed a ball-screw in a Haas mill for nearly 10-11 years and IIRC, the screw alone was about $1800. And that was in a small machine... a VF1 or 2 maybe?

Bottom line is, a large machined-part is expensive. And a large, forged aluminum part is even more expensive. To be honest with you, and knowing what I know about that industry, it's hard to imagine that there's much profit in high-quality, low-volume wheels of this size. My hats off to all the guys who are designing and making them.

Couldn't have said it better myself. When you add on insurance, software maintenance, hub stock - wheel prices add up fast. The 30" blank alone starts at $2600-$3000 before any of the design cutting can even start...

I don't make a lot of money, if I did I would have people who worked for me doing this while I drove around in some fancy car or sat my ass on a boat in the pacific. I enjoy what I do, and am just trying to make enough to keep the lights on and food on the table. And meet some great people while I'm at it.

T

Thomason Performance

Yeah Thomason seems to have some real good deals. the 2d's are more affordable the 3d's are crazy $ like $6k by the time your done. I see some 30" 3d wheels and tires on ebay for $3500 and I'm wondering what the catch is..

Yes - the 30" blanks from my blank supplier - All American Wheel are coming and it will drop the price significantly to do a 30. The last I heard was they would be ready by the end of Oct./start of Nov. I'm hearing rumors it may be further out than that, but I haven't had a chance to check with them on it. The 30" blanks, that are in the standard "2D" style - which means one flat thickness across the center of the wheel, are being machined out of a solid chunk of aluminum. That's what I use for doing the 3D wheels. Seems like a huge waste of aluminum to me. If you HAVE to have a 30" before All American's blanks come out then expect to pay in the $5K range and up - and that's my competitor's pricing for traditional style wheels. That same chunk of aluminum I can use to cut you a full 3D wheel for the same price range. I personally thing a lot of folks are getting ripped off, or don't care because they don't want to wait.

Latest posts