VA member with a wobble problem

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

rbfrat

A few weeks back a member from VA posted in the forum about a wobble problem he was having with his Pickard 6 degree trees and a 23 inch wheel. It was requested that the problem and resolution be posted on the site as several people (including myself) are considering these trees for use. I also contacted the VA member directly via a private message. There has been no information provided about this wobble problem by either the original poster or Pickard. I am a little suspicious about the lack of info and cannot justify purchasing the trees until someone sheds some light on the problem and it's resolution.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Couple things come to mind.

-Call Jevon at Pickard directly, it could be that this was straightened out and just never made public.

-You must understand that there are literally dozens of variables on this bikes that may or may not cause a wobble.

Here are some of those variables...

-Tire Pressure
-Tire Size
-Wheel Size
-Neck Bearing Preload "how tight is the neck"
-Wheel Bearing condition
-Runout of wheel
-Condition of motor mounts
-Condition of swingarm bushings

I could probably come up with more but that's what I have for now.

The point is.... Just because one person does something with good results doesn't mean it is going to work for all of us, the opposite is also true...

Wow, I must have missed the post... I wonder is Jevon did also... Only wobble problem I remember is a few months ago someone had a neck installed and was having problems... Have the member bring the post back to the top to see if it isnt overlooked.

crutter

Site Supporter
I've had 2 bikes with wobble problems that ended up being a bad rear tire. Something else that can cause a wobble is a incorrectly installed klock werks windshield. Not knowing the details we are taking shots in the dark. Like bill said there are a lot of variables that can cause a wobble. I would love to hear from the guy and try to help him out

DCHBGR

Site Supporter
Let me just start by saying there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Pickard trees on VABAGGER's bike!!!!! I have the bike at my house and the only thing wrong with this machine is the half ass wrench turning that a previous "mo-chanic" did!!!! So any of you guys that are holding out on buying these because of his statement please disregard and carry on with your purchase.

Btw.... I have no affiliation with Pickard just wanted to set the record straight. I just don't like people talking about something they have no clue about. Lmao

Last edited:

DCHBGR

Site Supporter
Yeah no shit on that...no need to worry about his belt, he only has a 103 and maybe some cams down the road. That's not enough power to worry about ------> stab ouch.

Oh and it was bad swing arm bushings the whole time causing it to "cock" and belt to ride up side of pulley.

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
Spoke with DCHBGR on the phone and he has the bike in his hands. He confirmed that the wobble issue is not related to our bagger trees. I also spoke with the owner of the bike and the wobble he is experiencing is more like the "bagger wobble" in the rear end. Our trees have been engineered and road tested for quite some time before we released them to the public. Call me if yall have any questions what so ever. We offer a 100% wobble free guarantee and there are tons of guys running them now. Not one has a wobble issue related to the front end, so this seemed to be a misunderstanding from what really is going on. DCHBGR is wrenching on the bike now, so let's see what ends up being the cause... thanks and again, call me at 972-231-1298 if yall have any questions.

Jevon

yardsale

Up in da one fiddy...
I don't think the issue is related to tire size, triple-tree brand, or anything else custom-part-purchase related. I had no problems for the first 2,000 miles after my rake and 26" but then I noticed a small wobble doing a 110 mph (+2000 miles), and last week I had an issue at 80 mph on a totally shitty federally-funded-and-maintained-interstate-highway-that-totally-sucks-ass ride... The tire wear concern is starting to make sense since I know I'm wearing my back tire by rubbing a little bit when riding with the rear-end too low... we may be onto the root-cause issue/solution here...

As an aside... really old-ass booties for no particular reason...
tats.jpg

Last edited:

crutter

Site Supporter
When you do a new tire I am a huge fan of nitrogen instead of air. I normally get an extra 3k miles out of a tire with very even wear

yardsale

Up in da one fiddy...
+1
Seriously... I could totally use a little nitrogen right now... yeah, I know... I should probably be banned from the site... on Tuesdays....

rbfrat

Thanks to everyone that provided info on this question. I feel confident in purchasing these trees for use on my Streetglide.

SickBoy

This is from Pickard, I just ordered his trees , what's this mean and how do I do this. Quote------the replacement bearing replaces your stock lower bearing that is pressed in. Ours you do not need a press, its a slip fit over our neck stem. You will need to press the neck through the top tree though....

Baddd bagger

Moderator and Buddy.
This is from Pickard, I just ordered his trees , what's this mean and how do I do this. Quote------the replacement bearing replaces your stock lower bearing that is pressed in. Ours you do not need a press, its a slip fit over our neck stem. You will need to press the neck through the top tree though....

And how does one accomplish this with it going on the bike?

Slam it!

Latest posts