TRASK TURBO or something else ????

king04

should you go with the TRASK TURBO or maybe rebuild your motor or get a 124 .what are some pros and cons and what would cost less? 04 RK converted to a RG 44k on the motor now.

SG11

I would buy S&S 124 and install. I hear turbo's run hot, and don't have the torque down low where you need it but I will say I have never ridden a turbo bike. I believe you will have more money wrapped up in turbo all said and done.

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
If you are running a stock bottom end, I would not bolt on a turbo, it is not designed to handle it. And I doubt that any motor builder would recommend it. So if you are considering a turbo you need a bullet proof bottom end first. Sooo,,,,, does that answer you question?

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
As far as rebuilding compared to crate, it is cheaper to rebuild, but you are taking more risk. Last I checked it cost about 4000 and up for a 124 from my engine guy, Kirby Apathy in Deland Florida. For a crate you are taking about 6 grand, not counting installation on either.
I had him do my stock bottom end, and it has been great.

king04

As far as rebuilding compared to crate, it is cheaper to rebuild, but you are taking more risk. Last I checked it cost about 4000 and up for a 124 from my engine guy, Kirby Apathy in Deland Florida. For a crate you are taking about 6 grand, not counting installation on either.
I had him do my stock bottom end, and it has been great.
a 124 seems a better choice for what I want I guess I will have to look into these motors price etc and install but i still have a 5 speed transmission can that stay?

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
a 124 seems a better choice for what I want I guess I will have to look into these motors price etc and install but i still have a 5 speed transmission can that stay?
Well that is always answered with a question. How do you plan on riding, and how built is the 124 going to be?
For a mild 124 under most circumstances the stock five speed is fine, the clutch on the other hand should be upgraded, even a mild 124 is a lot more power than the stock clutch wants to hold. If you are planning hole shots on a hot set up then I would talk to your engine builder for what he recommends for the trans and clutch.

king04

just riding nothing extreme no holeshots or racing around.i saw the ss124 motor for 6k none for 4k ?

SG11

Iv;e heard nothing but good things about kirby. He will steer you right with all aspects of build and what else you will need to go with it. My opinion is there are pro's and con's whether to buy or build.

king04

Iv;e heard nothing but good things about kirby. He will steer you right with all aspects of build and what else you will need to go with it. My opinion is there are pro's and con's whether to buy or build.
I will check that out thanks

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
LOL, just don't be in a hurry, especially this time of the year, start of the season, so he is busy and he drops everything to go racing. I tore my bike down for a top end, found bottom end problems, he told me two month from the time he get the motor. He warned me in advance not to bug him about when it will be done. Longest two months of my life. A week before the time was up he emailed me saying he was starting on it. Week later it was done.
Where are you located? You might have someone local to you.

SG11

I'm in northeastern Maryland next to Delaware line. Not to many complete build shops around here. We have Zippers performance but mostly top end kits. I usually send bottom end work to dark horse crank works then do rest of top end myself. Some around here use Hillside in NY. Buddy of mine had a repair shop with in house dyno and was S&S rep. Most would buy 124 until they wanted more then tear top end down and make some more power. LOL

Pooly

Site Supporter
I'm running the trask turbo kit on a stock engine for about a year now no problem and it's plenty of power. But yes it's a turbo so it does get hot but if you can handle it I love it and it sounds great

Latest posts