Toe/heel shifter question

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Jeremy1976

Hey guys. I have never rode a bike with a toe/heel shifter like the Street Glide has. What are the pros and cons to them? Been wondering this for awhile now. One of the cons I see is lack of foot space on the shifter side floor board. I am getting the precision billet cross floor boards and I believe they are wider than stock. Plus o am getting the short angle highway pegs in black for the engine guards to give me additional foot placement. Just curious on your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
In the past I preferred not to have the heel shifter because it does take up some room on the floor boards.

But.... When I had my left leg shattered last year the heel shifter is what made it possible for me to ride. It takes a lot less effort to push down with your heel than pull up with your toes.

I have no choice but to use one right now. But, when I don't need it anymore I may keep it anyway because it is effortless.

The good news is if you get one and don't like it, it is easy to remove.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OutlawBagger

Vendor
+1 Bill on the lot less effort to push down. I re-positioned mine so it sits lower than factory. All I have to do it lift my heal and there it is. It's also a plus when your jammin gears.

Jeremy1976

I was wondering if you lift your entire foot up or just the heel to shift. I know for a fact I will be keeping the boards!! Just not sure on the shifter at this time. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I was wondering if you lift your entire foot up or just the heel to shift. I know for a fact I will be keeping the boards!! Just not sure on the shifter at this time. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

I would try it for a week or two before ditching it. That's the only way you will know for sure...

As for lifting your foot, I think I usually just lift my heel but I am not sure.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Can you just take off the heel part or is it all one piece?

Just the heel part comes off. There are various spacers/caps available that make it look as if it was never there.

thecort

At first I shortened the rear shifter peg so it didn't stick out as far. Then I bought a floorboard 1" spacer kit from Harley Goodies & that really made a difference in space. I just installed a Ness heel toe shifter. They're so much longer than the stock setup that I can now use my entire floorboard for my foot. I like the heel shifter now.

Tap it!

Last edited:

Badgerbob

One of THE 150!
Removed heel shifter bought the piece from harley to cap the end.
Didn't care for that either so cut the end off and slipt it behind the toe shifter to move it out more.
This is where I am at now. J.M.O.

Only time I miss mine is when I want to shift hard! At 6000RPM the VPC doesnt want to be nice, it would be great to slam down on the next gear, rather than pull up while doing a wheelie!!!

88 Paladin

I like mine and use it a lot. wore it out after 50000 miles on a long lonely stretch of hwy 395 in Calif. Thing stripped a couple of splines and was all the way down to the floorboard,thought something major had happened until I stopped and looked. No big deal forced it up off the floor board and used the toe shifter for another 500 miles. Had to have it though and had it replaced in Eureka Calif. Having two is kind of like having a spare

RLJ676

Love the heel shifter, best part of a floorboard bike! For me it's just way easier/more natural to lift the heel than to lift the toe. Just sitting down, is it more natural for you guys to lift your toes than your heels? It's a tiny strain to lift the toes compared to lifting heel first.

dbell66253

One of THE 150!
First time I rode a bike with floor boards, I thought it was awkward, but after a couple of long rides, I loved them, same with the heel shifter, I don't plan to own another bike without floor boards and heel/toe.

Latest posts