Tig welder???? Plasma cutter???

09zkrankin

I was looking at that same one today and like it. The one a step down is nice also but only rated 3/8". And then I remembered the time I cut four 1/2 thick spring ubolt plates out of 6" wide plate with a cutoff blade in a 4" grinder....
Makes the extra for the bigger model worth it.. lol
Yea, I would def go with the bigger one, I have had zero problems with mine so far and the consumable life is great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reficul

Hobart makes a good plasma cutter too. Don't forget to look for Machinery auctions and going out of business sales. I bought pretty much a whole machine shop that way.

jetlag

Nomad
Jetlag, correct me if I'm wrong...but as I understand it the Longevity and Everlast machines are very similar in quality and ability? I realize they're not the same units but was told by Everlast that they are not running MOSFET now, and I can remember just a few years ago that Longevity was selling MOSFET units...

Hooch
sorry, I just now saw your question. I've not had a chance to play with any of the newer everlast machines. It's altogether possible that they're building IGBT based machines, like TA, Miller and Hypertherm. I really don't know, the lower end machines were, and are (I believe) still FET based technology.

If you dont' want to do anything more exotic than welding frames, you dont' need an expensive tig machine. Then again, you dont' really need anything more than a decent mig for that. I like tig for several reasons: first of all, for making quality welds, that need minimal metal finishing. Secondly, because it's the best way to weld aluminum. And for both of those tasks, buying a cheap tig machine is counterproductive to the mission.

You need a decent tig machine to make quality welds, particularly on aluminum and light sheetmetal. That's as much about being able to accurately control the lower amp settings as it is total power output and duty cycle. Modern microprocessors can very accurately control ramp-up and ramp-down of current....and accurate timing of the gas flow on/off cycles. This also plays a huge factor in extending consumable life.

In a nutshell, I need: AC and DC current, excellent low amp starts, and plenty of balls for the occasional bigger job. If you can run a bead on a coke can without blowing through it, you've got a machine that you can do quality work with.

4caseih

Site Supporter
sorry, I just now saw your question. I've not had a chance to play with any of the newer everlast machines. It's altogether possible that they're building IGBT based machines, like TA, Miller and Hypertherm. I really don't know, the lower end machines were, and are (I believe) still FET based technology.

If you dont' want to do anything more exotic than welding frames, you dont' need an expensive tig machine. Then again, you dont' really need anything more than a decent mig for that. I like tig for several reasons: first of all, for making quality welds, that need minimal metal finishing. Secondly, because it's the best way to weld aluminum. And for both of those tasks, buying a cheap tig machine is counterproductive to the mission.

You need a decent tig machine to make quality welds, particularly on aluminum and light sheetmetal. That's as much about being able to accurately control the lower amp settings as it is total power output and duty cycle. Modern microprocessors can very accurately control ramp-up and ramp-down of current....and accurate timing of the gas flow on/off cycles. This also plays a huge factor in extending consumable life.

In a nutshell, I need: AC and DC current, excellent low amp starts, and plenty of balls for the occasional bigger job. If you can run a bead on a coke can without blowing through it, you've got a machine that you can do quality work with.
jetlag - have you looked at the Miller Multimatic 200 for tig welding? Hobby use and possibly some neck frame welding if i can get good at it. I currently have a mig which can handle what i want to do but was thinking of adding a tig machine to learn how to use one.

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
I want the miller dynasty 280 with the wireless pedal!!

TNTCC

Site Supporter
Lincoln 225 Precision Tig/ Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 plasma cutter/ Miller 180 Mig
Like anything else, I look for more than what I need at that time so I won't need to upgrade. Do yourself a favor and purchase a hi quality machine. You get what you pay for.

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
Lincoln 225 Precision Tig/ Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 plasma cutter/ Miller 180 Mig
Like anything else, I look for more than what I need at that time so I won't need to upgrade. Do yourself a favor and purchase a hi quality machine. You get what you pay for.
You welded aluminum with that 225? I got a 250 Lincoln tig and that's why I want the 280.. Need more amps..

My migs are 250's, but they're different than a tig.. Now my plasma is a 2050 miller that's kick ass..

jetlag

Nomad
jetlag - have you looked at the Miller Multimatic 200 for tig welding? Hobby use and possibly some neck frame welding if i can get good at it. I currently have a mig which can handle what i want to do but was thinking of adding a tig machine to learn how to use one.
I can't say that I have looked at it. I love Miller welders generally. I believe this one is a three-in-one machine with mig, dc tig, and stick functions.

The dc only tig welders don't weld aluminum, so you'd have to add a spool gun on the mig side. If you are looking to learn tig, or get better at it, I would shop for an ac/dc tig welder with a good reputation for precise arc control. You already have a mig welder, so I'd focus on getting the best tig welder in your price range.

denimglide57

I have a htp 221 great machine for the price $2500 bucks and just as good if not better than the dynasty 200dx

Latest posts