Tig welder???? Plasma cutter???

Fro

Ok guys I have 2 different mig welders and I get the job done with them but I would like to add tig welding to my skills.
What would be a good tig machine for starters? I have both 110 and 220 outlets available.
My migs are both Lincoln. Im not looking to break the bank here but would like a decent machine to learn on.
Also gonna be buying a plasma that's has to be capable of cutting 3/16" single pass so any info on that would also be great

Hooch

I'm gonna get bashed for this, but I've seriously considered getting an Everlast. My old tig unit is trashed. I currently have no welder. I was looking at the everlast because they seem to have decent reviews, adds a plasma and for no more fab than I do it should hold up.

Hooch

WarEagle

Site Supporter
Fro, I haven't used one yet but thermal arc has a 3 in 1 called fabricator that won't cost an arm & leg. Planned on getting one but don't have a shop at the moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

barefoot3zk5

For my money ... Hypertherm is the ONLY name in Plasma machines .. I run one on a CNC as well as another for light handheld cutting .. they offer a small 110 V machine that is rated at 3/8" .. bout the size/weight of a 12 packand can run off a small compressor .. most weld suppliers carry the line as well as consumables ... not cheap but a good investment .. might find one lightly used as well ..

Nojuse4u

I sold welders and welding supplies for a while and from what I have seen and used I would say for the plasma hypertherm is the best way to go. Thermal dynamics is also a good machine. They are both a little pricy and you want to watch out for the availability of the consumables. I would stay away from esab as they had a lot of problems. As for the tig the miller diversion is a great machine for the beginner or an experienced welder. Very simple to use and setup and it can weld aluminum this is the machine I have in the garage. You can get one for under $1800. I have also run the thermal arc 3 in1 and it's a good machine for what it is and is only a dc machine and cannot weld aluminum and you are paying for a migwelder that you might already have.

DMC

Site Supporter
I'm gonna get bashed for this, but I've seriously considered getting an Everlast. My old tig unit is trashed. I currently have no welder. I was looking at the everlast because they seem to have decent reviews, adds a plasma and for no more fab than I do it should hold up.

Hooch
I've got an everlast. I taught myself how to weld with it. Its the only welder I've ever used, and no real complaints. If I upgrade, I'll probably go with another everlast because of the price. Would love a nice brand-name, but can't justify the cost for a hobby...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

jetlag

Nomad
I would not get the 3-1 Thermal Arc. Basically, ifs a mediocre mig and a mediocre tig. You want ac/dc tig. I have a Tbermal Arc tig/stick, and its pretty good for a homeowner machine, although the pedal took some getting used to. Add an inexpensive mig only machine. If you have a decent tig, you might not need a mig. I don't even own one myself.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
I'm looking at a miller dynasty 280 for my new tig.
I have a miller 2050 plasma, great but it's prolly not what you're looking for. It'll cut 1.5" sever cut. My mig is a Lincoln..
Good luck with whatever you choose..

Pat1

Banned
Eastwood welders are junk!!!! Made in China crap. I have both miller tig and a Lincoln mig and one of my migs took a crap so I read the reviews on the east woods and decided to buy one. That thing lasted less than a hour. I could of welded better with a set if jumper cables and a battery. I should of known when I got it and it said "made in China" on the side. My wife saw it and said Good luck! I had them send me a shipping label and sent that pos back. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a new Lincoln but to get a quality weld you have to.

Spend the extra coin and get a American made Machine.

Last edited:

jetlag

Nomad
There's good TIG welders, and there's cheap TIG welders, but no good, cheap ones. Having a cheap tig welder might be worse than having no tig welder. You're out a grand on a machine that will get pushed to the back of your shop when you get frustrated by blowing through your sheetmetal 'cause you can't dial down the heat, or overheating the machine due to a too-low duty cycle. I'd avoid the Eastwood and Everlast (neverlast) machines. Old mosfet technology, coupled with Chinese reliability.

If you can spring for a Miller Dynasty, by all means, go for it. As far as moderate priced units, there's the HTP221, the ThermalArc/Tweco 186 and it's cousin the Longevity 200EX. Any of them will work well for anything you'd need, including frame building, sheet metal fabrication, and aluminum. I have the TA186, and other than a slightly "notchy" foot pedal, it works very well, and produces high quality welds. TA moved some of their production to China, unfortunately, but the quality still seems as good as it's been all along.

A good source for information is the Welding Web forum, where a lot of good fabricators hang out. There is a fair amount of good information, along with some strong opinions, similar to the Harley forums.

Hooch

Jetlag, correct me if I'm wrong...but as I understand it the Longevity and Everlast machines are very similar in quality and ability? I realize they're not the same units but was told by Everlast that they are not running MOSFET now, and I can remember just a few years ago that Longevity was selling MOSFET units...

Hooch

Fro

Wow....Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys.. I've already marked some of the lower priced unit off my list just by reading the reviews.
Im sure Ill have more questions as I make my choice or come across a used unit for sale.

09zkrankin

I have a hypertherm powermax45, its 220v and rated for 1/2 clean. Great machine and is very easy to adapt to cnc if you ever go that route

FRANKIE WALLNUTS

My friend is a certified welder and has the Eastwood stuff for home use. If ur welding big steel that's another story. But ur at home correct? It's affordable and a nice package. Good luck with ur choice. Opinions are like assholes. We all got em. But hope u find what's best for ur needs.

Fro

I have a hypertherm powermax45, its 220v and rated for 1/2 clean. Great machine and is very easy to adapt to cnc if you ever go that route

I was looking at that same one today and like it. The one a step down is nice also but only rated 3/8". And then I remembered the time I cut four 1/2 thick spring ubolt plates out of 6" wide plate with a cutoff blade in a 4" grinder....
Makes the extra for the bigger model worth it.. lol

Fro

My friend is a certified welder and has the Eastwood stuff for home use. If ur welding big steel that's another story. But ur at home correct? It's affordable and a nice package. Good luck with ur choice. Opinions are like assholes. We all got em. But hope u find what's best for ur needs.
I value your opinion and checked out the package deal. The one thing that turned me away was Eastwood's customer service.
Guys were complaining about issues with either machine and Eastwood telling guys to box it up and send back for repair.
Then having to wait 3-4 months to get the machine back.

FRANKIE WALLNUTS

I value your opinion and checked out the package deal. The one thing that turned me away was Eastwood's customer service.
Guys were complaining about issues with either machine and Eastwood telling guys to box it up and send back for repair.
Then having to wait 3-4 months to get the machine back.
Thanks Fro... Just tryin to help with another option like the rest of the guys. We use miller at work. I have a miller at home myself. But there pricey. Anyway hope ur happy with what ever machine u get.

Latest posts