Teach the young man to chop

ElGiganteJake

So I've been bouncing this idea around for a couple years and finally got started on it... sacrificed a donated bicycle for the headtube, fork and wheel and am using it to start on a drift trike. Trying to do this on a super low budget and have fun with my 6 year old. I just bought him a drift kart (electric) a couple months ago and so this will be initially setup to fit my 37" inseam and am considering an adjustable seat setup so he can ride it too. Gives me something to practice welding and fab on as well.

Here is the plan:

Frame: Donated 20" BMX + schedule 40 3/4" (1.050 OD) - I may use 1" DOM 120 wall later, but this was cheap and more easily purchased.
Drivetrain: #35 chain / centrifugal clutch / Honda Clone (HF Predator 6.5 hp)
Axle: BMI 1" keyed axle kit
Wheels: DIY drift (mdf core)
I will fab up the throttle assembly, brake mech (not sure what I want to use yet) and probably do a stage 1 on the Predator. Debating on using the bmx assembly or tossing it and making my own triple tree/solid fork setup.

Tools: Drill Press, bench grinder, 4" grinder/cutoff, lincoln fluxcore (eventually I'll convert to gas)

So far I have the neck cut off and cleaned up, we bent the downtube and I ordered the axle assembly. Lil Dude was taught to use the drill press as we made a wood mockup engine plate as I mocked up the measurements on the garage floor with painter's tape.

20151125_224055 (Small).jpg
20151113_151456 (Small).jpg
20151113_151444 (Small).jpg
20151126_125056 (Small).jpg

ElGiganteJake

Got the axle today. Parts check.
uploadfromtaptalk1449192794676.jpg

Put together for mockup
uploadfromtaptalk1449192840656.jpg

Had Lil Dude drill out some blocks to simulate wheel height. Then checked the on the floor measurements. Also measured angle for neck. Gonna be set at 32°
uploadfromtaptalk1449192953343.jpg

Last edited:

ElGiganteJake

Made some progress today. Got the frame squared and welded up. Once I make sure my heights are all good, I'll weld on the neck next.

20151213_183935.jpg

20151213_190220.jpg

20151213_200545_001.jpg

ElGiganteJake

So the frame is about 2" wider then it probably should be in each side, but I'll build the next one better. :)

All major fab is pretty much done at this point. Welded on the neck and backbone brace. Also fabled up the brake mount and drilled/cut the motor mount holes (can slide for chain adjustment). Also clearanced the cross brace for the drive pulley and welded in the seat bracket and bolted the seat down.

Still have to buy the right size bolts to mount the motor and after fluids fire it up. Also size the chain, run brake cable, throttle cable, setup throttle return spring and mount/wire in the kill switch. Hopefully playing by this weekend. :)

~ jake

Nomad

Site Supporter
So sweet! Hope the weather is still clear when I get back up north so I can try her out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts