Tank Shroud Bonding

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

thecort

Rudy, like Bill, I used this too

It worked great! Cures quickly but not so quick that you can't work with it. You just need to scuff up the paint on the tank.
I also used it to mount my LED filler panel light tabs right to the underside of the fender. It's like I welded them on!

Tap it!

Last edited:

QuikHD

One of THE 150!
Quik how long does it take to set?

They say 90 min. We usually place what ever we want bonded and tape it down so it doesnt move and work with it the next day. I had some of that drip on a chrome spot, it was pretty hard to get it off and the chrome wasn't even prepped or scuffed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toosons

Rudy, like Bill, I used this too

It worked great! Cures quickly but not so quick that you can't work with it. You just need to scuff up the paint on the tank.
I also used it to mount my LED filler panel light tabs right to the underside of the fender. It's like I welded them on!

Tap it!

What did you used to scuff it?

yardsale

Up in da one fiddy...
Yard, I'm a little slow at this than others. You said tape on flat sticks for side to side alignment, can you explain? Or do you have any pics?

I learned about this from the guy who had to fix my mess so unfortunately, I do not have any pics. The first side overlay goes on great but when you put the second side on and line things up, that's when a new set of problems pops up that you didn't see during mock-up. Its hard to apply the panel bond evenly (unless you have a power applicator). When you put the second side on, it quickly becomes obvious that you may have it too thick in some areas and too thin in others. The more time you have to fix things, the better. Taping paint sticks on helps align things horizontally where the overlays meet in the center of the tank along the top. Taping a paint stick across the front helps balance length issues front-to-back (in other words, do not depend entirely on alignment with side covers - look up front and see how things line-up where the tank mounts to the frame). Side-to-side, mine were off by almost 3/8" up front but aligned perfectly with the side panels. Having time to adjust bonding and think about what will be easiest to fix if the sides are not perfectly symmetric will save you a lot of time, money, and headaches after the the glue sticks.

The tank bezel dash thingy helps hide some of these issues but if you know its crooked, it will drive you crazy. I have serious OCD so I paid more than the overlay kit cost to have it fixed correctly... lesson learned.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I hand sanded with 80 grit then wiped down with pre-paint wash.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

STACKS

I used the 3M 08115. 90 min work time, 4 hr clamp time, 24 hr cure time. I bought it from the paint supply store. They tried to sell me an 85$ applicator gun but I did not buy it. I emptied both sides of the tube onto a board and mixed it with a paint stick. It worked out good because it took an entire tube anyway. It gave me plenty of time to place the shroud the way I wanted and now i think it would be easier to get a Little Debbie From a big girl than get this shroud off.

Latest posts