Stretched Tank

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

bgtrck

One of THE 150!
Ok guys, I am thinking about doing a stretched tank. Was kinda leaning towards a Yaffe tank. I like the idea of a complete tank as opposed to just covers. Plus with the price they want for these covers I can get a Yaffe tank, console and pop-up cap.
I do kinda like the Sinister covers. They seem like they would be easy to put on.
So let me know what you got, why you like it and maybe even post a picture. Thanks

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I love the way my Camtech kit flows into the side covers. Pickard also has a pretty bad ass tank extension that flows into the stock side covers and doesn't cover the entire tank.

Sedona Blue

Site Supporter
I have the Yaffe tank. I love it as well. One thing to think about, the yaffe tank takes a lot of body work to get it to the level that you see. Your painter may stick it to you for pricing to prep and paint. My painter had never done a yaffe tank and kicked hiself in the ass for quoting my price up front. lmao

smokenjoep01

Ok guys, I am thinking about doing a stretched tank. Was kinda leaning towards a Yaffe tank. I like the idea of a complete tank as opposed to just covers. Plus with the price they want for these covers I can get a Yaffe tank, console and pop-up cap.
I do kinda like the Sinister covers. They seem like they would be easy to put on.
So let me know what you got, why you like it and maybe even post a picture. Thanks
I think its 6 of one and half dozen of another. Both require some additional labor. I would go with the ones that the overall lines flow to your taste.
BTW, Elizabeth city has got to be the closest member to me. Howdy! I use to go to the dragstrip in Hertford quite often. Dont get up that way much any more.Look me up if you ever get down to Wilm.

QuikHD

One of THE 150!
IMO the Yaffe tank looks too cookie cutter to me. It doesn't flow with the other panels. If you don't want to do any fitting or seat mods, grab one along with their seat. If you want a more custom look, go with panels and custom seat, might cost more.

Top Shop makes tank panels for early baggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jokercraze

" JOKERS WILD "
You think with these tanks the would come sealed.. I understand body work.. But these guys are throwing these things together... Then a ton of money to do body work crazy!!!
I'm in the wrong business lol

Gdub

One of THE 150!
I have the yaffe tank. I would do it again, all metal. Keep in mind you will have to remove the internals from your stock tank and move them to the Yaffe tank after it is sealed. Lucky for me Slothy, helped me with some direction.

I have an older tank from CCI, only thing I dont like is the dash... A friend has a RWD stretch tank and it came paint ready!!! He said none of the stuff he has gotten from other businesses matched the quality of the RWD stuff he got. I am liking the Pickard weld on panel. Of course, be sure to include the costs of a seat. At least my CCI was a small stretch so I was able to trim and staple my stock seat to work with it.

thecort

I did the Camtech shrouds & side covers. I'm very happy. I really prefer the look of a tank that flows into the side panels over one that is just stretched. That's just me though.
I didn't go with the Yaffe because you'll actually spend more to prep it for paint. Changing over the fuel sending unit is not hard at all if you take your time & pay attention.
You'll have to look at some pictures of bikes with the types you're considering then make your choice.

Don't forget that the initial cost of the components is NOT the final cost. Lol
Here's a pic of mine with the Camtech kit

Tap it!

bgtrck

One of THE 150!
Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping that you guys would be able to post some more pictures. 1 thing I am not crazy about with the paul yaffe tank is the way it comes down to meet the side panels. I do like the way that the sinister and cam tech tank covers come down to meet the side panels.
Smokingjoep01, I have been to the track on several occasions. How far are you from Elizabeth City?

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
if you don't like the full tank covers, here is another option. Ours is just the rear half and keeps your tank looking slim (not like a pregnant guppy). They flow around and into your side covers

cope tank.jpgcustom bagger.jpg

JD2007ROADKNG

Site Supporter
I went Daytec

I did the DAYTEC tank and would do again.. some prep work put into it before it was ready for paint but it was mainly what i wanted to do to it, to make sure everythign FLOWED as it should have.. Camtech and Pickards options are the BEST on the market I feel IF you are not going to an all metal replacement.. I went all metal because I went from 4.8 gallons to 6.0 gallons.. Made sense to me.. I also did the 20.5 inch wide one also because NO ONE normally does.. Just my .02.... DIFFERENT, custom.. I mean while im chainging, I may as well REALLY CHANGE..

I have my prep pics also but will share if anyone want to see the raw tank through prep to paint..

Attachments

• booth pic 4.jpg
    booth pic 4.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 255
  • booth pic 2.jpg
    booth pic 2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 267
  • tank prep 1.jpg
    tank prep 1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 265
  • tank prep 2.jpg
    tank prep 2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 261
  • tank prime.jpg
    tank prime.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 261
JD, what does the dash panel end up looking like? Looks almost flush except for the very top... nice!
I did the DAYTEC tank and would do again.. some prep work put into it before it was ready for paint but it was mainly what i wanted to do to it, to make sure everythign FLOWED as it should have.. Camtech and Pickards options are the BEST on the market I feel IF you are not going to an all metal replacement.. I went all metal because I went from 4.8 gallons to 6.0 gallons.. Made sense to me.. I also did the 20.5 inch wide one also because NO ONE normally does.. Just my .02.... DIFFERENT, custom.. I mean while im chainging, I may as well REALLY CHANGE..

I have my prep pics also but will share if anyone want to see the raw tank through prep to paint..

JD2007ROADKNG

Site Supporter
JD, what does the dash panel end up looking like? Looks almost flush except for the very top... nice!

Here you go quick shots before i installed it after paint..... Debating on getting dash chromed later in the year not sure yet.... A guy in town wants the bike before I do anything else to it, not sure I will part with it though..

Dash2.jpgDash1.JPG

coolerman69

One of THE 150!
$375...I used an overlay from California Baggers I got from Shane at AF Customs. It comes extra long so you can use your existing seat. Just trim it out to fit. It wasn't paint ready but a light sand and a coat of epoxy primer and they were good to go. This was my first build and I was able to make them look sweet so fit was excellent. I've paid A LOT more for lesser quality. Came with the dash and the cap. Oh yeah, I screwed up one side while trimming for the seat and they sent me another one FREE!!!! Now thats customer service!!!progress 008.jpgalmost done 008.jpg

Last edited:

JD2007ROADKNG

Site Supporter
$375...I used an overlay from California Baggers I got from Shane at AF Customs. It comes extra long so you can use your existing seat. Just trim it out to fit. It wasn't paint ready but a light sand and a coat of epoxy primer and they were good to go. This was my first build and I was able to make them look sweet so fit was excellent. I've paid A LOT more for lesser quality. Came with the dash and the cap. Oh yeah, I screwed up one side while trimming for the seat and they sent me another one FREE!!!! Now thats customer service!!!View attachment 5507View attachment 5508

Looks good man... I like those....

Latest posts