Some questions on project

traveler

Cut and rake the frame FIRST. get it done and out of the way.

Then get the raked fairing and front wheel.

The work your way back.

~Joe

WFO-SG

Banned
I want to do that. I want to do trees and a 23''. Not sure If I will have much left over to do much esle with labor. I will know more tomorrow. I really want to rake and 23'' but do NOT want to have to owe shop anything. I want to stay in the 8400 range. Ill see what they can do. Seems like a top notch shop that is willing to help

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Do all the fitting and mockup yourself, save the $70/hour and know your bike inside and out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

WFO-SG

Banned
anyone change out the tank emblem and what did you go with? Im thinking about the 61'-62' FL style. The crosshairs. Any issues with mounting these on a SG? Cheap mod and makes bike look good.

BLACKIZZLE

Site Supporter
hey man, I dont know how much mechanical ability you have..but most of this stuff that you are wanting to do is just the matter of turning a wrench. Im 21 and have been a mechanic since I could hold a wrench..but take on the challenge man. The only thing you should have to pay someone to do is possibly welding up the neck if you go that route, and painting it. otherwise...its not that tough. I will upload 2 pics of my bike for a before and after(not complete)and I will tell you that I have about 8500 into my bike right now and thats just for parts because I did all the labor myself. It just shows how much more you can get out of your money if you just have some time to turn a wrench

Attachments

thecort

hey man, I dont know how much mechanical ability you have..but most of this stuff that you are wanting to do is just the matter of turning a wrench. Im 21 and have been a mechanic since I could hold a wrench..but take on the challenge man. The only thing you should have to pay someone to do is possibly welding up the neck if you go that route, and painting it. otherwise...its not that tough. I will upload 2 pics of my bike for a before and after(not complete)and I will tell you that I have about 8500 into my bike right now and thats just for parts because I did all the labor myself. It just shows how much more you can get out of your money if you just have some time to turn a wrench
I agree. Of course there are variables but as far as painting, fabricating, motor work & some complicated electrical work, if you can turn a wrench you can do most of the work yourself, if you take your time.
Now, I do know some people who can do it themselves but choose not to. For a number of reasons eg: time, work or just don't want to bother.

Tap that [email protected]#!

bagger specialties

One of THE 150!
THAT sounds about rite for a two tone paint job . My buddy is went to a collission shop everything 13 pieces prep paimted 2 tone house of colors for 1500 bucks. i My self preped mine myself even primed it. and it cost me 800 bucks for one color. 400 to shoot it anf 450 for the paint and supplies.

traveler

1500 sounds about right for just gloss black here locally.

But gloss black will get the job done quite nicely. :D

~Joe

WFO-SG

Banned
My cost for paint job was $2500. That is complete bike, inner fairing and tank console.

Also includes the labor and powdercoat for primary, horn, ac,forks,levers, floorboards and F/R wheel

Bill

I used to own some shit!
So what are they spending the other $6000 on??? Something doesn't seem to be adding up here..

We aren't putting you down in any way, just trying to keep you from getting screwed.

WFO-SG

Banned
$2200 for bags, $600 for fender. Then labor to install and fit etc. Apes were $379,cables were $200-300 something and labor on apes. I have the work order and it all adds up. Lots of other misc stuff Im forgetting

Bill

I used to own some shit!
So that's $2500 in labor going by what you have told us... But, you said the $2500 for paint included disassembly and reassembly.

You don't have a custom tank, fairing, or front fender so there is very little "fitment" to even deal with.

Unless you have about $2000 worth of misc small parts I think your getting ripped off.

For $8500 you should have been able to get a 23" with trees or rake&trees, stretched bags & fender,a single color paint job plus some little stuff... That's what we have all been saying this whole time.

You have been asking since you joined for our advice and I think what I am telling you is the general consensus... Is there a reason you won't do the general assembly yourself? I rebuilt my last bike sitting in a wheel chair so it can be done, just takes a lot longer.

I would be willing to bet there is a ChoppedBaggers.com member near you that would assist you in doing it yourself for nothing more than pizza and beer...

Bagged64

Yep, if you were close to me I would help you out. I took my whole bike apart while I was in the wheel chair. The apes are 1 thing I paid to have done 1 time. When I got a price it was $900 and when I picked it up it almost was $100 more because he forgot to add something. I added up everything and I could not believe how much I paid in labor. Damn near same price I paid in parts. Saved myself $550 this time around.

$2200 for bags? What bags are they? I've been looking at stretched bags too. What makes 1 better than the others? A lot of them look the same. I think i am going to buy extensions this week and do them myself. If I was to pay someone to do it, I might as well just buy stretched bags.

WFO-SG

Banned
I cant do it myself. I dont have the time nor do I have a lift. I go to school and then pretty much once I get home I got my kids. It would take months for me to get stuff done. Ill look over the work order again. I know there is other stuff Im missing.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
At the end of the day a good deal is the one that you are ok with, if you know you'll be happy then your good-to-go.

WFO-SG

Banned
I could have probably gotten a lot more parts for sure but then I would be sitting at home with thousands of parts that need to get painted/PC and no bike. I dont have a lift to do the rims and remove forks etc. I have the tools just no time whatsoever. i want my bike completed and then ridden. If I would of ordered say $6k in parts and installed most I would of been stuck tearing it apart to get to paint and all that nonsense.

im sure i could of got more parts somehow but hey, It wasnt my money really. And when its done i ride it home not having to do any labor myself and not having a down bike. I will get a lift and all that eventually so I can do my own build.

bagged64, the bags are the bad dad shaved stretched bags. no hardware,latches etc.

But I didnt spend a dime on this build, just road rash which since I wasnt seriously injured turn out great in my eyes. labor for my apes is $455. Ill get a 21 or 23 here soon once my disability checks start coming in and I get that back pay.

Last edited:

Bagged64

Oh I see. Those look good. I guess I had never looked at the price of those. If you're going to be happy with it that is all that matters.

WFO-SG

Banned
Yeah Ill be happy. Huge smile from ear to ear on this guys face when I pick her up and ride home. Ill be sure to do a full walk-around and point out any flaws,if any. Shops seems to be a great shop to deal with.

But I hear what you mean webmaster. I could have got a lot more parts If I had the time and what not to build it myself. By taking to a shop I limit myself. But I got paint, apes, and rear end set up complete along with other small things. So Im happy.

And with my schedule it would NEVER get done.LOL. And I ride mine as much as much as possible and hate for it to be down.

Last edited:

Latest posts