single sided brake question

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Stone King

I have a question.
If I run a single sided brake set up on a 2010 RGC with abs, should it pull to one side when brakes applied? If no what could cause it to do so?

coolerman69

One of THE 150!
New bearings. Dont know for sure but the wheel has to be flexing to change direction. The rotor is mounted to the hub so that takes the wheel itself out of the equation. All I see as a possibility is bearings.

Opunui

Stone king jack your front tire off the ground and see if you have any play by wiggling it side to side. You also could do a run out with a dial indicater placed on the side of your rim to check also.

Wanna Ride

I've had single-sided front brake on my '08 FLHX (non ABS) for about 15k miles, never pulls to the side, always brakes straight.

Zach

Site Supporter
Make sure your bearings are correct size as well. I had a friend that with a similar problem. He had a front wheel with the older 1" bearings, but was running the 25mm axle. He actually rode it that way for quite a while before he figured it out.

Other things to check off the top of my head

Steering head adjustment
Front tire condition

Zach

Stone King

When I grab it it cocks the bars and wheel to the right slightly. Feels like a slight twist

www.facebook.com/thestoneking

Sumo-X

When I grab it it cocks the bars and wheel to the right slightly. Feels like a slight twist
www.facebook.com/thestoneking

Yeah, I have had that on another bike we worked on, this is a triple tree clamping problem, plain and simple.
What is happening is when you grab the brake the caliper is trying to shove the left fork ahead and twisting the forks in the trees just a bit. (you have the brake on the left side). This has been on my mind because I have the same thing, the buell brake set up I have has way more grab than the front end can handle, driving me nuts.
These bikes could benefit from an inverted front end soooo much, that's what I am going to do on my next one.
I would check and make sure the top tube is thoroughly tightened to start with, (stock trees??). The bike isn't actually pulling, that's in your head, but it can feel like it, I know. Sounds like it's bugging you as much as it bugs me...lol

Also, Zach has some valid points too.

Last edited:

Stone King

Yeah, I have had that on another bike we worked on, this is a triple tree clamping problem, plain and simple.
What is happening is when you grab the brake the caliper is trying to shove the left fork ahead and twisting the forks in the trees just a bit. (you have the brake on the left side). This has been on my mind because I have the same thing, the buell brake set up I have has way more grab than the front end can handle, driving me nuts.
These bikes could benefit from an inverted front end soooo much, that's what I am going to do on my next one.
I would check and make sure the top tube is thoroughly tightened to start with, (stock trees??). The bike isn't actually pulling, that's in your head, but it can feel like it, I know. Sounds like it's bugging you as much as it bugs me...lol

Also, Zach has some valid points too.

Yes brake is on the left side, and stock trees

stupid_rope

Resident JerkFade
Mine 'pulls' slightly to the side of the caliper when i get on the brakes hard. its more along the lines of that Sumo is talking about.

ive pulled my front end a few times and i always double check the torque on the trees and neck

Zach

Site Supporter
Road Glides are notorious for having the steering head adjustment (fall away) too loose from the factory. Even most dealerships don't set them up tight enough. I was always fighting annoying issues. Handle bar shake at 46mph, some wobble in sweeping turns, clunking when going over bumps, and a general lack of that solid feeling. Once I got the fall away at 1 full turn, it made a huge difference. Tire condition and pressure also make a huge difference. I need to have 46psi in my rear Avon and 43 in my front. If either gets low, the bars start to shake slightly and some of those other problems start to show up.

Zach

Latest posts