Single-side brake line question

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Wanna Ride

Here's what I'd like to do, but I'm having some difficulties with a very well known shop understanding this. I won't get into who it is, but you guys would really be surprised to know what builder's shop is... well, clueless. I'll add, that they are NOT a vendor on this forum.

Anyways, I have an '08 FLHX (non ABS) that I bought an HHI 6-piston caliper for. I deleted the right side caliper when I installed the 18" PM wheel. I also installed 10" monkey bars, and HD chrome hand controls. Instead of running a single ss brake line from the master cylinder all the way to the HHI caliper, I want to rune one ss line down to a chrome t-fitting (mounted in the stock location), then run another ss brake line from there, down to the HHI caliper, which will be mounted on the left lower. Most T-fiiting/manifolds have three holes, so I'll just plug the third hole that normally goes to the right side caliper.

I'm currently running the stock brake line and t-fitting/manifold, with the line to the right-side caliper, blocked off. I did this by cutting the soldered tube off, drilling and tapping the t-fitting/manifold, and plugging it with a 1/8" NPT plug. The stock lines seem to have plenty of slack to accomodate the taller bars.

Has anyone else done this, or does everyone typically just run one line all the way to the left caliper? I want to do this like this, in case I ever want to add the right caliper, or sell the bike, etc.

Question for those that just run the single line all the way to the caliper - How did you secure/route the line between the fairing and the caliper?

If anyone has some pics to share that specifically show this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, guys!

slothy

Balls
on the backside of the hhi trees there is a threaded hole (not sure if there is one on back of stock lower - if not might be room to drill and tap) , i just used a clamp (rubber inside) to hold the line and abs wires.

http://sdparts.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/MRG3771_full.jpg

you can still do your way - speigler makes a union
http://www.spieglerusa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Manifold+

if you do a single line all the way down, its easy to add another line, use a dual fitting banjo bolt up front @ master and run a line to the right one. its how we did sportbikes

http://www.spieglerusa.com/double-banjo-bolt-1651.htm

Last edited:

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I would just run a straight line. Your not really saving anything by keeping the option there to add a right side, either way you have to crack the system.

I am using a -3 Tee in my fairing and the lines will be secured exactly as Slothy mentioned above.

crutter

Site Supporter
The positive side to using the union under the trees is if you go to taller bars you only have to replace half of the line. I have had great success with Dennis Kirk tech support. They have all those figures in their computer. And if I'm not mistaken the 10" bars require stock size lines

Wanna Ride

Thanks for the input guys. After thinking about it, and just wanting to be done with the aggravation, I decided to run a single line. Crutter's advise was correct if I was going to run taller bars, but I just put the 10's on and I'm not interested in ever, ever again wiring a set of those damn things. Bill was correct too, about still having to crack the system open, but I wasn't so concerned about that, I just like to retain options. If I ever decided to go back to dual calipers (hint:23" wheel, rake, chop), I'd just have to buy one more short line. Oh well, it's only money, right? Slothy, thanks for the info on the clamp - that's exactly what I suspected, but you'd be surprised how many phone sales guys can't answer the simplest of tech questions.

Anyways, these folks took care of what I needed and knew exactly what they were talking about. Ask for Sue or Maria!

http://magnumshielding.com/#2

Latest posts