Short turndown exhaust???

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

VooDoo

I'm looking to get a clean smooth rear look. I am trying to find a pipe that comes back an turns down under the bags so I don't have any exhaust cutouts. I have read time and time again about the short puffer but there discontinued. So that does me no good. Has no one made a pipe similar or am I gonna have to cut and modify one? I seen some on a post by yardsale on the topic of pipes dumping I front of bags. But didn't see any brand name. I don't want the yaffe or sinister pipe.

tboner

Clyent Cycles has some on his facebook page that they exit in front of both bags, pretty sharp and custom. They are located in his photo section. Not sure if hes making them to sell or was a 1 of........

yardsale

Up in da one fiddy...
Depends on your header. I had the Dragula 2:1 so I had to cut up a Dragula muffler (and ghost pipe). I think there are some long turn-outs on J&P Cycles for 1 3/4" header pipes but I couldn't find any shorties.

Here's the link for my stack pipes

yardsale

Up in da one fiddy...
So would you suggest just using a 2:1 or running duel.

Samsies... I went with the 2:1 for the performance but paid for a ghost pipe because I didn't want the big gap at the front of the bag on the other side. Probably not an issue if you have flared side panels...

VooDoo

Samsies... I went with the 2:1 for the performance but paid for a ghost pipe because I didn't want the big gap at the front of the bag on the other side. Probably not an issue if you have flared side panels...

I like this idea. I like the look of balance but pref the power gains of the 2:1.
I don't have intentions of running flared sides. I will have to research the ghost pipe. This is my first bagger build I've done a bobber and a chopper. But I build and get bored. But I must be able to ride her for 1500-2000 week trips.

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
I like this idea. I like the look of balance but pref the power gains of the 2:1.
I don't have intentions of running flared sides. I will have to research the ghost pipe. This is my first bagger build I've done a bobber and a chopper. But I build and get bored. But I must be able to ride her for 1500-2000 week trips.
Eh I got lost, oh 2:1.. Just make noise..

lumper

Bill,
You said 2:1 all day.
Just curious why?
I was always under the impression true duals are going to let her breath better and good for performance.
I know from the week I have been on here that you obviously know your stuff and I regard your opinion very highly so I was just wondering your thinking on this?
I was planning on using Reinhardt's true duals in black ceramic, with a spiked or SE air breather, I have a big sucka now but I want a more custom look to go with my bikes theme.
Anyway man, your input would be great on this.
Thanks
Lump

crutter

Site Supporter
You lose low end torque with a true dual system. A 2:1 system makes more low end torque 9 time out of 10. The low end torque is what we need to launch our larger bikes from a stop light or to pass a semi. Not saying that the true dual system is bad but for a street driven bike I believe that a 2:1 is money well spent. As a side bar I have a dragula 2:1 from Dragos on my bike and love it.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
A 2-1 is absolutely a power maker over a true dual setup. You get the advantage of scavanging which means the exhaust from one cylinder is actually helping pull the exhaust out of the other.

This is why companies that make a "power dual" tie the two head pipes together somewhere.

+1 on the Dragula, I have one and love it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

lumper

Thanks Bill,
I understand.
I was always of the other thinking, true duals = more power and I prefer the look.

Let me ask you this, other than low end torque, am I losing any top end say highway speeds as a result, or is it not discernible?

I dont run wide open anyway, I like to tour and cruise, I run around 75 highway and 50 everywhere else.

I like the idea of more low end torque, that sounds good with a heavy bike.

When I bought my first Harley new and knew nothing about any of this stuff, I over heard the techs talking about the dyna numbers they were getting with the true duals and how impressed they were, I didnt know any better, but I liked the look of the pipes so I pulled the trigger and spent the 900$ or whatever it was and had them installed.

Everyone used to tell me they wanted them too but couldnt afford them, I never put any thought into the dynamics of them or even looked into them to learn, that was 8 years ago, I have learned a lot since then.

Looking back I cant believe I had them install anything on my bike really, i could have saved a ton of money and learned a lot a long time ago but I was intimidated and had the cash and really didnt care, I just wanted what I thought I wanted.
live and learn.

You are like an encyclopedia of information on this stuff.

I need to find a guy like you, near me I can work with.
Thanks again for the information.
Lump

Last edited:

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Either way your only talking 5-7 HP or ft/lbs...

It won't be a night and day difference, but if you are looking at pure performance the 2-1 wins.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

thecort

9 times out of 10, 2;2 for looks...2;1 for power.
I had a V&H 2;1 then changed to 2;2 now & noticed a loss in power. Didn't bother me much because it's a BAGGER! lol But after running with Bill & DCHBGR, in OC, I may go back to a 2;1! lol

Latest posts