Short Neck Kits

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

wyo 1

Site Supporter
I can't say how that combo would ride. I use Hhi necks the total on them are 47*.

I do have some pistons, $80 shipped

I'm going to run a 26 with that, should be 42* total with the 8 neck and 8 trees. I'm sure it's more involved than just total overall I was just wondering how or if that would work. I'll take a set of your Pistons 2015 road glide. How do I pay you?

wyo 1

Site Supporter
After doing some looking around, it looks like if I used the misfit 8* neck and 8* trees it should be the same as a American suspension 26x kit. Anyone have a comment on how they handle if giving the choice misfit or A/S kit?

Baggerbill

Site Supporter
Bill,

Okay, let me try to explain the situation to you in quick layman's terms. It wasn't until Mark (owner of HHI) gave me a drawing of their setup that I understand the importance of the numbers. I won't post it here because it is their information and protected but let me try to help. The differences come with where the hub ends up. Look at it this way....... The trees create a angle that holds the forks and the neck creates a pivot for the trees to move on. Draw a line for the angle of the neck and the angle of the trees. The greater the trees angle the farther the hub (center of the wheel) is above the pivot of the neck. The numbers affect trail, weight of the bars when riding, and the overall stability of the bike. Maybe I will do a CAD drawing to explain this....... Anyone need a picture?

Classi,

I understand the whole rake and trail concept, and even advantages of the short neck. It is the different rakes per wheel size? What degree is best? What is the difference if I had a 7* rake, and a 9* tree or a 9* rake, and a 7* tree? The overall rake is the same, but what combination is better or worse and why?

ClassiCutCustoms

Site Supporter
Classi,

I understand the whole rake and trail concept, and even advantages of the short neck. It is the different rakes per wheel size? What degree is best? What is the difference if I had a 7* rake, and a 9* tree or a 9* rake, and a 7* tree? The overall rake is the same, but what combination is better or worse and why?
Well I can't tell you what is better or worse because I have only tried 9 trees only and a 9/9 setup. I can tell you that the 9/9 is a heavier feel on the bars and feels more stable but this is just a few miles so far on a 26. The 7/9 is often referred to as better riding than the 9/9 but nobody has expanded on that. I do know from the numbers that the 9/7 combo would be similar to the 7/9 but have increased trail numbers but a similar hub position.

ClassiCutCustoms

Site Supporter
These are degrees. The first number is the number of degrees more than Harley stock rake of the neck tube. So a 7/9 would be 7 more degrees than stock.

The second is the rake of the steering trees and all of these are 9 degree for a 26 wheel. A 30 wheel would be 12 degrees.

The total is degrees again...... HHI 9/9 gives you 44 degrees of total rake at the forks.