Shipping Wheels

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

DMC

Site Supporter
Can any of the wheel vendors chime in here?

I purchased a wheel this year from an online vendor and it arrived unscathed. Even the box was in good shape. Well, I put my old wheel and tire on ebay and sold it. I used the original packaging that came with my new wheel to send the old one out. The buyer contacted me and said that the hub wore through the box and additional cardboard that I attached to the hub to protect it. It wore through to the point that the hub was "mushroomed" and the wheel is now completely unusable. It almost looked like UPS tied it to the back of a truck and dragged it to it's destination.

My question is - what is considered "adequate" packaging for a wheel and tire? Anyone ever recieve a damaged wheel?

I started the claims process with UPS to get refunded shipping and the value of the wheel, but based on their website, they require 2 inches of padding between the item and the box. Even with 2 inches of padding, I don't think there is any way the damage would have been avoided, considering the extent of the damage. I would think the packaging I received my new wheel in would have been adequate to send another wheel in.

I'm pissed because I don't want UPS to point the finger at me, then I'm out the money, shipping charges, and a wheel.

DMC

Site Supporter
Its just frustrating because I used the exact same packaging as a wheel I received, and nothing was damaged. I figured if a vendor packaged it that way, I should too, and everything would go smoothly. Good thing it wasn't a $1500 wheel, just a stock 16 inch.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
No matter how well you pack it, if the handlers treat it like a football its getting messed up.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

T

Thomason Performance

I've never had that issue. The dude is trying to f you. I normally use a 24x24x12 double wall box, unless it calls for a larger box. I wrap the wheel in a bag, and then fill the box with peanuts, being sure to shake the box to pack the peanuts in tightly. Never once had an issue - hopefully didn't just jinx myself...

Has he sent you pictures of the damage to the wheel and the damaged box. If it was that f'd up when he received it he has the opportunity to not sign for it and have it returned at your expense. Even if it was dropped off, and he can document it that it arrived that way, he can bring it back and refuse it then, or file a complaint himself. I'm pretty sure he's trying to pull one over on you. I wouldn't do a thing until you've seen pictures of the damage. Also, you have limited seller protection from eBay and since you sold it via eBay you'll have to get them involved.

DMC

Site Supporter
It wore through a double-walled box and an additional layer of cardboard, and still mushroomed the hub. This damage does not come from normal handling. I don't think packing peanuts would have made a difference in this case. The guy is understandably pissed, so am I.

Attachments

• IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 73

hellbent customs

Site Supporter
We have bought and shipped alot of wheels out of my shop over the years and thats crazy ups is 2 in but i agree the wheel looks to have been drug all the way there:banghead:

T

Thomason Performance

Holy chit! That must have gotten stuck under one of the trucks. Yep - UPS's fault. 2" wouldn't have helped in this case. That box clearly got stuck under one of the trucks and dragged for at least 50-100 feet before they realized it. Damn dude. That sucks. Go after UPS. This is their fault. Hire an attorney if it's worth it to you.

Latest posts