Safety/Reliability/Drivabilty going to trees and a 23

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

smooothone23

I currently have an 09 FLHX and had a issue with water/gravity/oil recently and now have the chance to make some changes to the scooter courtesy of my insurance company. I am looking to go to 7* trees and a 23, but I am not going to cut frame at this time. My main concern is the safety and drivability aspect of it. I have the blessing/curse of working at a HD dealership so my every move on the bike is being questioned by the mechanics in the shop who are afraid of custom work and deviating from the stock HD guidelines.

So as you can guess, I am hearing that there is a safety issue going from a 17 to a 23 in terms of over/under steer, contact patch changes, rake/trail issues etc. I have read about guys touring big miles on big wheels but before i go against the advice of every mechanic in my shop I wanted to hear from those that have taken this plunge with the 7*tree/23 change and not cut the frame.

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents!

TNTCC

Site Supporter
I used Pickards bolt on trees on my 2010RG and the handling is great. I like it better than factory. Have over 4000 miles since finishing including a 2600mile round trip to MN. Most dealerships tend to frown on any changes the almighty factory doesn't offer. Just smile and do your thing, you won't be dissapointed. Just a note, my last bike was done with HHI trees and a Yaffe neck. It handled great as well so really the big difference was the longer look of the stretch.

thecort

First welcome to the site.
You came to the right place. That combo of 7 with a 23 should work great.
I have 9 degree trees with a 23 & have logged 2,000 miles on this setup. No problems at all. The only thing I can pick at is the front end has a light feel at speeds above 65 mph. I have cruised at 80+ for an hr without an issue at all. Overall it rides excellent.

Tap it!

crutter

Site Supporter
Pick a wheel. Pick a fender. Get the pickard trees. And do it. Your only regret may be that you didn't put a 26" on it. I love my 23"

rollinrooster

Welcome, and i think you came to the right spot for advice. I was going to do the 7° trees and a 23" until i ran across this site.:biggrinjester: Now my 2010 RG will get cut this winter and be rockn a 26". I also have some harley mechanic friends and they say the same thing as your friends.... but in times past when i did something different and it worked they all had a change of heart. So good luck with your project.