Saddle bag skidplate alternitive? UHMW

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

trav0302

As some of you might know I like to think outside normal. I have been kicking this around in my head for abit as I have been reading some of your skid plat/ slide posts. So heres my attempt to bring some 4x4 tech to the bagger community. For a while now it you things like boatside your 4x4 in an attempt to gain more clearance you would try and box your sides. But thats not always enough. Now here is were I think Saddlebags could work. Not on 4x4's! They sometimes use a material called uhmw. Which is really Ultra high molecular weight polyurethane AKA dense slick tough plastic. I haven't figured out how to mount em on a saddlebag yet but with that on a 4x4 we mount them with counter sunk bolts routered out so the heads cant ground off. It can be cut with a diamon saw blade to anyshape needed. The material is strong enough to hold a fully loaded gear and all 4x4 then do extreme wheeling, i'm pretty sure it could handle daily skids of tight cornering on the road. This is the same stuff they make bullet proof vest from.

Here's an example of what i'm talking about as ebay listing tend to end.

And if you were wondering you can get it in black. I just did a general ebay search so you can see prices.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=uhmw&_sacat=0&_from=R40

What do you guys think?

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
To soft.. The asphalt will eat it up quick. I use that all the time, example. A cat backhoe extension uses it, I use it for my pottery wheel head blocks. We ware it down with our hands in 6 months, about 3/8" or so..

Works best on smooth surfaces, if I dig in sand much it'll ware the shit out of my extendahoe...

I recommend a metal, steel or stainless..

trav0302

I would agree that it is softer, but at the same time when your using it on a backhoe or for your example pottery wheel thats constent use. The main reason for the Uhmw is not to last but to prevent saddlebag damage. When used on a 4x4 and in this case it simpely slides/takes the damage for your bags. Which is the reason for the counter sunk bolts for easy removal and of coarse you can flip it over use the other side before replacing with another.

With the cheap price you could buy a sheet of it, cut out a bunch replace as needed. When used on one of are blazers we got full seasons out of em thats almost ever weekend. Now those were 3/8" like Marc said so this will make a diff. but 4x4 also weigh more.

So I guess I'm still on the wall with this.

Dirt_Guy

How fast were you going with the 4x4? Usually that's all low speed trekking/crawling correct? I'd be hesitant to use it on the saddlebags with the high amount of friction it would encounter. I'm all for innovation though so if you're willing, please test it. I believe metal skidplates would win out with lifespan and asthetics (shiny part rather than plastic).

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
How fast were you going with the 4x4? Usually that's all low speed trekking/crawling correct? I'd be hesitant to use it on the saddlebags with the high amount of friction it would encounter. I'm all for innovation though so if you're willing, please test it. I believe metal skidplates would win out with lifespan and asthetics (shiny part rather than plastic).

A simple easy test.. Take a wood rasp apply 50-100#'s of force and drag it..

Dirt_Guy

I didn't consiter the low speeds of wheeling into this glad you guys caught that one! That right there would be the straw. I hope you kinda got were I was going with this atleast and not all was a waste?

Inspiration is the only way to lead to innovation and new products. Gotta think outside of the practical box first, then match it to real world conditions.

Dirt_Guy

I wasnt trying to condem any inovation, I have experiance with the product. I'll be glad to send a small piece to either of you guys to test? I have a good bit of it... pm me and addy...

No worries, I trust your experience. I was agreeing with you while supporting his idea.

trav0302

It's cool but thanks for the offer tho.

Hey I would never do this as its way out of my style. But this hit me also do you guys remember in the early to mid 90's lowriders use to put skid plates on. Then install titanium sheets or plugs to stick out and spark. I wonder if anyone on a bagger has done it?

Dirt_Guy

There is some chatter on the subject every so often. I think Traceman has some titanium on hand to possibly design something. Legacy Baggers also has been formulating an idea involving being spring loaded mated with an air ride suspension.

Latest posts