Riders w/Air Pressure Gauges - what PSI running w/Front Air Ride w/26" wheel setup?

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

coolhanddeuce

Have done a search in the forums for this but can't seem to find anything specific to my question. Even went thru the 100 page+ Front Air Ride Sticky!

I have a GlowShift dual Air Pressure LED gauge setup for my Front and Rear Air ride - using CVO Ultra Switches for Up/Down setup - works great.

I am running Dirty Air rear air suspension on my 2013 Street Glide and spoke to Al at Dirty Air (awesome to deal with!) and asked him what he found worked best based upon my setup (I am 6' 235 lbs) he suggested 85 to 95 PSI for the rear. Cool!

I used the American Suspension Weld-on Short Neck Kit with a 26" front wheel and am using their AR70/41A Air ride Kit and am looking for suggestions on Air Pressure PSI for this setup. I reached out to American Suspension but they were not willing to provide numbers...

Just looking to see what others who have 26" wheel and Front Air Ride have found works for them! Not gonna hold ya to it! :)
Thanks

Baggerbill

Site Supporter
Not sure of the PSI, but what I would do is get the bike frame to ground measurement the same as a stock bike. So get a buddy with a stock bike (no air ride), and sit on that bike and measure frame to ground at the front of the bottom frame tube. Then do the same thing in the back. Now sit on your bike and air front and back until you match these measurements. Make a note of what front and rear air pressure is at this point. You may find you will play with the air a little to optimize your ride, but this will get you close. What you need to remember is the trail is the most important. Let say your buddies stock bike measures 5.25" in the front and 5.0" in the back. No matter what ride height you choose, you need to figure out what front and rear pressures keep this 1/4" differential. too far off lower in front than stock trail will send you into a high speed wobble. Too far lower in rear than stock will make it ride like shit. Hope this makes sense.

coolhanddeuce

Thanks Baggerbill - that does make sense - will try that out and let u know

Just some background -have already hit the dreaded wobble last year and am healed up from a broken Shoulder and torn bicep so that is why I am asking about the air pressure setup. Old bike setup was same 2013 Street glide but had HHI trees and 23" wheel. Cut the neck and added the AS forks / weld on kit. Had same air ride in front then too...
Just wanted to clarify and make sure u understand the reason why I am asking
Appreciate it

Last edited:

Baggerbill

Site Supporter
No problem. It is important to get rake angle correct, and side to side perpendicular to frame. Then get the trees and fork tube correct. Then I move to making sure the wheel is centered. From there I make sure I am getting the stock trail with the air ride. It doesn't matter if the bike is 3" off the ground or 5". The only thing that matters is the trail, which should be 1/4" to no more than a 1/2" higher from the front lower frame tubes to the ground than the back. I personally like 1/4" to 3/8" max difference at highway speeds. A lot of guys like myself have learned to do this by feel, but you certainly can get it dialed in better with gauges. Hope this helps.

coolhanddeuce

Thank you Sir - I appreciate you sharing your experience and knowledge.

I did actually find a couple of posts in the Front Air Ride Sticky and there seems to be a range based upon setup/feel - examples are:
Torch - 145 psi his setup is 7deg tree with 23 Wheel
Torqu - 120-140psi looks like 26" RD setup
http://choppedbaggers.com/forums/showthread.php?3162-Front-air-ride-101/page92
From what I understand the trick is to Air it up fully - then reduce/drop air to desired feel.

My 2 buds just arrived in Laconia today and their Air Ride setup were:
SG w21" front wheel and standard trees and he was 2 up with TP and was at 105psi front and 130 rear
RG w18" front wheel Native Custom setup and he was also 2 up with TP and was running 120psi front/140psi rear
Both are running Dirty Air rear and American Suspension Front kits

Thanks again!
I am Laconia Bound tomorrow!
Will report back with my trip experience!