repairing broken hold down tabs on speaker lids

sscglide

Site Supporter
i bought a set of used 1 off creations 6x9 speaker lids of a guy on here and when they got to me the hold down tab on one lid was broken off has anyone ever repair them and had them hold up and not break off again would like to fix them and put them on before leaving for sturgis kinda completes the bike also may aw well paint them while the bags are getting painted.

if anyone has any ideas please let me know i believe they are made of SMC

sscglide

Site Supporter
i dont know what it was insured for with the shipping marc i stopped at our local ford bodyshop and the guys had a look and sent me home with some 100EZ fusor they said it should work i will post a picture in the am

Baggerbill

Site Supporter
I would use panel bond and put a thin piece of sheet metal also panel bonded to the inner side of the ear. Cut it the same shape as the tab, but maybe a 1/16" shorter on the sides and bottom. This will help you hide it better. I would bring the thin sheet metal all the way up into the lid to the top. It will fit between the lid rim and the seal. I have done this before, and it worked fine, and you can't see it. Thin stainless works great, as it is usually more rigid than the same gauge non-stainless. It doesn't have to be stainless, if you don't have any thin enough.

Ferro

Site Supporter
I would have just sent them back. That's just me. I don't pay for thing that come to me broke. LOL

Puzzled

Staff member
I would have just sent them back. That's just me. I don't pay for thing that come to me broke. LOL
I'm with you.

Either it was broke prior to shipping (don't know if this was disclosed) or it was damaged in shipping which should have been insured.

I wouldn't fix it if the "my bad" wasn't on me.

With that said I'm curious to see if the repair holds up. Could be good/useful information.

sscglide

Site Supporter
Im hopin it holds up im sure the seller wasnt out to screw anyone i think ita too late to do any insurance through usps

Ferro

Site Supporter
I hope It all works out for you. If not I would call the seller and see what he will do.

Latest posts