Rake options

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Scott the shot

Hi all! My plan is to do a 26 this winter on my Road Glide. I don't want to have that stretched look so I was thinking 7 degrees in the neck and a 9 degree tree. In talking to others I've been told that 9 and 9 is really the only way to go. Now, I've also been told I could do 9 and 7 or the 7 and 9. I guess the problem is I've been told a little of everything and am more confused than ever. Is there really a wrong or right way?

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Every bike I build will be 9/9. But there are bikes out there with every possible combination some ride good, some don't.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Scott the shot

Thanks Bill! I just dont understand how one thing works for one but not another. I was looking to not have the front so stretched but it looks like the only SURE thing is 9 and 9.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Do a Pickard 9/9. They use a block where you can set your own stretch. I plan on pulling the new King in as much as possible.

As for the variations...

Lots of variables, including: Wheel runout, tire wear, tire balance, rear tire size and condition, frame year, other mods affecting weight distribution, fork length, etc...

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
ok, did a little messing around with the CAD and here is what I came up with...

7 neck, 9 tree = 7.07 trail
9 neck, 7 tree = 9.08 trail
9neck, 9 tree = 7.8 trail

I would say the 9 neck, 7 tree is a bit too much trail. It will feel very sluggish at slow speeds and top heavy. Stick with the other two set ups. This is all based on what we have done at the shop and what my engineer calculates based on the different variations. All fork leg and tire diameter dimensions were kept constant. I hope this helps all of yall.....

Good luck!

RLJ676

ok, did a little messing around with the CAD and here is what I came up with...

7 neck, 9 tree = 7.07 trail
9 neck, 7 tree = 9.08 trail
9neck, 9 tree = 7.8 trail

I would say the 9 neck, 7 tree is a bit too much trail. It will feel very sluggish at slow speeds and top heavy. Stick with the other two set ups. This is all based on what we have done at the shop and what my engineer calculates based on the different variations. All fork leg and tire diameter dimensions were kept constant. I hope this helps all of yall.....

Good luck!

Thanks, this is great info.

Is stock like 6.2 or am I remembering wrong?

Scott the shot

Thanks guys for the info! I believe the stock trail is around 6.4, could be wrong though. I'm thinking i'm gonna go 9 and 9 and try to limit the amount of stretch.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
stock is between 6.4 to 6.7 depending on the year of the bike...

Does that mean a 7/9 would ride closer to stock???

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
it would probably be tough to tell... the longer the trail, the more stable it is at highway speed. If the trail is too long, it will feel very stable at high speed, but at slow speed it will feel sluggish. If you've ever ridden a extremely raked out chopper, you will know what I mean. It's fine when you ride, but when you go slow it's kinda top heavy.

I'm thinking about putting 9's on my other RK that's cut and raked 7deg and throw a 26 on there to see how it actually handles compared to just computer calculations. The calcs are pretty damn close, but real road testing is always the true test.

Appling Bagger

Site Supporter
it would probably be tough to tell... the longer the trail, the more stable it is at highway speed. If the trail is too long, it will feel very stable at high speed, but at slow speed it will feel sluggish. If you've ever ridden a extremely raked out chopper, you will know what I mean. It's fine when you ride, but when you go slow it's kinda top heavy.

I'm thinking about putting 9's on my other RK that's cut and raked 7deg and throw a 26 on there to see how it actually handles compared to just computer calculations. The calcs are pretty damn close, but real road testing is always the true test.

Dammit,

Why ya'll doing this to me. I finally settle on 9/9 now ya'll talking 7 neck 9 tree might be better. I have both 7 and 9 blocks made and still haven't welded so now back to where I was. I guess welding will be one of my last. As ya'll can see I'm in no hurry so might just wait to see what results Pick gets.

With all this being said-wouldn't it be hard to tell on a RK vs SG since there is no weight on the handle bars of a RK(no radio speakers etc....). My RK seemed to handle better at slow speeds than my SG.

tboner

I posted trail numbers earlier in the week when I got off the phone with HHI, I ordered 7/9 and feeling much better now that HHI numbers have been confirmed....
dont forget you might run into clearance issue withthe 7/9..........

HawgSwag26

Site Supporter
I posted trail numbers earlier in the week when I got off the phone with HHI, I ordered 7/9 and feeling much better now that HHI numbers have been confirmed....
dont forget you might run into clearance issue withthe 7/9..........

Thats what I did, they said 7/9 will ride great with 26" as would a 9/9 just a different stance. Only thing is I dont "think" I will be able to do a 30" ever with my neck but right now Im more than cool with a 26"

Appling Bagger

Site Supporter
It's just that I was told the opposite. That 9/7 was better than 7/9 and I was close to sending my 9 trees back and getting 7.

I got plenty to do before welding.

Latest posts