Project starter bike

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Bigmoneycloser

Site Supporter
Can someone give me the run down on the best year SG or RG to buy for a full custom project?
I thought 09 was the best, because of bigger back wheel and engine plus new frame. (also, parts seem easier for 09+)But I will be looking for the best bang for the buck.
What are the pros and cons of a great deal on an earlier low mileage Glide?

Baddd bagger

Moderator and Buddy.
I would definitely go with an 09, no abs, and u see what the market is its tough it's a buyers market but go over it thoroughly like no drips under neath and don't rush to get it

Ride it like you stole it!

jetlag

Nomad
I like the 07 and 08 bikes. You get the stroker motor, and its easy to fit up a 180 rear tire if you're gonna be swapping rear fenders anyway. You can save a little on purchase cost, there's nothing wrong with the old frame that can't be fixed.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Bigmoneycloser

Site Supporter
A 180 will fit on the 08-07 with the stock subframe?
Also with the 07-08 frames, are there things that need to be fixed? I would be converting to a 26.
Thanks

jetlag

Nomad
A 180 will fit on the 08-07 with the stock subframe?
Also with the 07-08 frames, are there things that need to be fixed? I would be converting to a 26.
Thanks

Yes, the 07 and 08 touring bikes will accept a 180 rear, as long as your rear fender will accomodate it. The FBI 180 "kit" for the 07 and 08 bikes is a spacer.

You can also run the wider tire on the 02-06 bikes, but you have to change the drive belt and pulleys to the narrower 1" (or go chain drive). Klock Werks calls for a 3.485" pulley side hub on a 5.5" wide wheel to make it work.

The biggest reason the newer bikes handle better isn't so much the frame as it is the motor mounts, particularly the forward mount, which was beefed up considerably, and helps control the side-to-side movement of the swingarm. The ride isn't all that much different, and if you've kept up on maintainance, your motor mounts and swingarm bushings aren't degraded, you can stiffen up the swingarm on the older bikes with a progressive touring link. Good tires and shocks are the other part of the equation. There's no reason the older bikes can't be made to handle just as well, if not better than the newer ones. And if you're gonna be running a 26, you're probably not building a canyon carver.

My ideal starting point for a full-on custom would be a 02 Road Glide, with body damage, maybe bent forks, etc, but with a straight frame, ok motor, good primary and trans, and a clear title.

Last edited:

Aaugman

Well As i opened this thread a buddy calls me and tell me he just bought a street glide from an auction. He doesn't know exactly what year yet but he'd sell it for 12k the bike did go down and needs a front fender and bars.

Latest posts