Prepping your bike for winter

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Do you do anything to prep your bike for winter?

I can't stand riding cold and wet...so I normally don't. I just don't want to be caught off guard with a day that sneaks up being all gorgeous like.

dicktracy13

I ride most of the winter as long as it's not snowing/raining and the roads are not covered. The cold doesn't bother me but I do have good riding gear for the cold, so the only prep I do for my bikes is Sta-Bil in the tanks. My shop is not heated but the attached garage is and that's where the bikes stay unless being worked on. Fortunately my shop at work is heated and I keep whichever bike I ride parked in the shop when at work even in the summer since I ride even if it rains during the summer. A lot of people change oil if their bike is not going to be in a heated garage as once the oil is broken down it gets condensation in it. I tend to change my oil in the spring after winter but there again I am riding and the bikes are not in a cold garage. So at the very least if you plan to ride some when the temps come up put a stabilizer in the gas tank and run the bike for a little bit to get it worked through the line as well. Also I recommend keeping the tank full and if you do ride when it gets warm fill the tank back up and put stabilizer back in it.

That's just me others may have a different take on putting a bike up for the winter.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
I went ahead and got a trickle battery charger for the bike. Was looking at some more winter gear for gloves and longer socks aka long johns.