Poor Mileage and Running Hot

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

InMotionJosh

One of THE 150!
I am a little concerned about the way my bike is running. Its getting really poor mileage about 120-140 miles between fillups, and its running really hot. I can easily get to 250 degrees.

I am running CFR Mufflers, V&H Dresser Dual Head Pipes, RSD Turbine Intake, SE255 cams and a Fuel Moto Tune on a PCV. Any ideas? I have Jamie working on a new tune for me right now but the way that my logic is, I think that if he leans it out for mileage the bike is only going to run hotter.

Thoughts?

Zach

Site Supporter
Timing can have as much to do with heat as A/F ratio. Those cams create a substantial amount of cylinder pressure over stock. That's why they make such great torque. It's also why timing needs to be retarded. Jamie is a good tuner, but it is worth asking him about the timing.

Just out of curiosity where is your oil temp sensor located? 250 degrees isn't that bad, but I would expect a mild motor like you have to run cooler than that. My 103" is at 10.6:1 with right at 200 ccp. It rarely goes above 200, but I am running a Jagg 10 row cooler.

Zach

smokenjoep01

Ya you got some tuning issues. My 124" with NO oil cooler rarely would get over 200 measured at the dipstick. Jamie should be able to tweak your map. Or like others stated a firmware update type issue may be the culprit.

Zach

Site Supporter
Personally I'd be worried about the temps. MAkes riding it uncomfortable and can cause damage if it gets hot enough. For whatever reason when HD switched to the 4 3/8 stroke they started running much hotter than the old 4" stroke. Even stock 96 benefit from an oil cooler. Not sure if you have room for one though.

Zach

crutter

Site Supporter
As for the oil temps did you upgrade your oiling system when you did the cams? Oil pump, cam plate, pressure relief spring. The fueling stuff really helps to drop temps by moving more volume through the system. As for the bike running hot do you have any intake or exhaust leaks? Does your bike pop on deceleration? A leak on the intake or exhaust side will cause unexpected air to enter the combustion chamber. Since this air is unaccounted for it will cause a lean condition causing heat. Did you replace your exhaust seals when you did your head pipes? Are the nuts still torqued to spec? Is the nipple covering the vaccum port on the top the tb in good condition or is it all cracked up and dried out? You can also do the firmware update yourself from the power commander website. Hope that this helps a little.