Pics or Vids on Installation of Yaffe's Neck Kit 08 & Earlier????????????????

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Appling Bagger

Site Supporter
I've searched for hours and all I see is the latest gen of bikes with his kit. Mine is totally different and would like to see before purchase. Oh 9* for 26....

Thanks

jetlag

Nomad
I'm going to bump this one back up.

I'm fixing to cut and rake with Pickard's neck block on my '07 bike. Not a whole lot of info is out there on raking the older bikes, I'll try and add to the collective knowledge base here in a couple of weeks. Meantime, if anyone has any pics of a cut and rake job using a neck block on the 08 and earlier frame, I'd love to see them.

Earlybird

Jetlag, what degree are you going with on your neck? Just curious I have an older bike also pre 08 model.

jetlag

Nomad
I'm going 7* neck and 7* trees, for a 23" wheel.

I did find some pretty good pics on Paul Yaffe's Bagger nation site. One series in particular, he pretty much showed the entire sequence. It's a little confusing at first. Or I should say, it was a little confusing for me, probably due to my antiquated notions of what a motorcycle frame and neck should look like. Anyway, the 08 and earlier bikes have a different neck construction than the newer bikes.

So, pulling a couple of pics from the BN site, to illustrate. Cut the neck just behind the steering lock, at a roughly 90* angle to the forward part of the downtubes.

Here, he's got the neck block inserted into the frame and neck section so he can mock up the front end. A good way to set the stretch to ensure clearance between the fairing and tank

Drill through the neck and into the rake block to weld the block in place

In the last picture above, there is a sheet metal section on the bottom part of the frame. I think there is probably some sort of plate welded to the downtubes and frame to strengthen the junction.

You'll need to fab some sheet metal over the stretched section.

Here on the right side of the neck, he's cut out the section the VIN is stamped on, and it gets welded back in place as the sheet metal covering is worked up.

jetlag

Nomad
These are the cuts I was telling I about.
sorry, what? The cuts you were telling who about?

It was pretty confusing the first time I looked at the pics, but after studying them a little, I think I understand some of the reasons they've sectioned out some of the sheetmetal peices. It wouldn't be complicated while you were doing it, since it's mostly done on the fly. Get the neck piece welded into place, it helps to open up the sheetmetal a bit to do that, then cover it back up. The thing I'm concerned about is maintaining the VIN cleanly and clearly. I don't want to be grinding down welds 1/16" away from the last number on the VIN. I think that might be why they cut the section out with the VIN on it, and peiced it in last.

I'd be very happy to see another approach to welding up the neck block in the older frames, these are about the only pictures I've seen on the web. Lots of good info on the 09 and newer bikes, not so much with the older frames.

Last edited:

SUAVE

I see what your saying jetlag. That's done on a 08 and down frame. My vin is lower on the down tube. The only reason I could see doing that its to make the whole frame look more proportional. Instead of having the neck way out there they bring some of the down tubes up as well.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353555740.624037.jpg

jetlag

Nomad
We are pretty blessed that our good friend is the baddest welder around!!

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, and sending my bike out for a shop to do this is out of the question, I took a 20 percent pay cut this year, just to stay employed. I'm not complaining, I feel lucky to have a good job, and not looking for one. I'll probably lean on one of my brothers to come up and give me a hand with some of the sheetmetal fab, otherwise, it'll be just the one of me out in my garage.

SUAVE

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, and sending my bike out for a shop to do this is out of the question, I took a 20 percent pay cut this year, just to stay employed. I'm not complaining, I feel lucky to have a good job, and not looking for one. I'll probably lean on one of my brothers to come up and give me a hand with some of the sheetmetal fab, otherwise, it'll be just the one of me out in my garage.

Yea times are hard on all of us but we still find a way of getting stuff done. You'll appreciate it a lot more when you get done too! Have fun with it and when you think you got it where it needs to be at measure again! Lol

jetlag

Nomad
I see what your saying jetlag. That's done on a 08 and down frame. My vin is lower on the down tube. The only reason I could see doing that its to make the whole frame look more proportional. Instead of having the neck way out there they bring some of the down tubes up as well.

I think that's part of it, it also looks like there's a clearance issue with the inner fairing switch cap and the top of the frame. It looks like the sheet metal was sectioned above the frame and moved down about an eighth here. There's not much stretch in this frame, so with the front of the neck tilted up, the switch cap moves down towards the neck.