Petcock isn't releasing gas!!!! ?????

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

98customRoadGlide

So wanted to test out the air ride today but ran into couple more problems. Anyways petcock is letting gas to the carb. If you loosen the petcock from the tank gas comes out, if you take the screws of the diaphram gas pours out. So kinda thinking I need a new petcock. I've never seen a diaphram on a petcock. I did notice if you turn it to reserve and start to remove diaphram gas comes out but if you have the petcock on and remove diaphram no has comes out.

Any ideas thoughts?

thecort

Take out the petcock & see if either of the pick up tube strainers are blocked or clogged/dirty

Tap it!

smokenjoep01

You need vacuum. Unplug the vacuum line and suck on it. Fuel should flow if in the on or run position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98customRoadGlide

Wow I'm lost drained gas, took the petcock out cleaned it. Fuel filter won't come out of gas tank. But put it back together and still nothing. Took the vacuum line off back of petcock and sucked nothing.

Or do I take the vacuum line off the carb and suck on that end ??

smokenjoep01

Take it off the carb. But as long as the suction is being pulled on the petcock diaphragm. Its best to use a vacuum tester as you have to have the vacuum held for the fuel to flow.
If you buy a replacement it includes the complete assembly. I havent ever seen em go bad.

Last edited:

98customRoadGlide

Gas cap is off right now, you take gas line off petcock and turn on the gas and nothing comes out ! My question is why wouldn't my fuel filter pull out of my tank ?? Acted like it was wedged or stuck. That could be the problem. Not letting gas into the petcock!

Opunui

Can you put a piece of hose on the petcock and try blowing fuel back into the tank. Then you could tell if there s a restriction.see if you can hear bubbling of fuel in the tank as you blow

smokenjoep01

I can picture him sucking on the vacuum line and blowing in the inlet. His wife sees him, shes gonna think were talking him into doing drugs and built him a bong!

98customRoadGlide

I just drained the gas back out of the petcock opening. I noticed if you move the fuel filter a certain way tons more gas pours out. So that fuel filter is plugged or causing the gas not to flow

98customRoadGlide

Okay ripped that fucker out so it was a straight shot to the petcock. Still nothing will come out. I give up. Is it my diaphram ?? I dunno I'm done with it for a while lol

smokenjoep01

The vacuum opens the valve to allow the fuel to flow through it. Order yourself a Pingel high flow. Traditional gravity fed.
The vacuum feature is for safety. It uses engine vacuum to keep fuel flowing while the engine is running. You crash and the engine stalls. No more fuel flow

Latest posts