Painting vs powdercoating wheels

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

smooothone23

I am wanting to paint a portion of a wheel and wanting to know what is better. is the ability to powdercoat and match factory paint available at this point? My fear is not matching and looking like a dweeb. I also dont want to paint and have it flake or look bad.

Thanks

thecort

You can also powdercoat first then match the paint to the powdercoating.

Tap it!

smooothone23

I do not want to paint the entire bike, just match the wheels....can you powdercoat to match factory paint?

thecort

From what I have seen, heard & read it's more difficult to match powdercoat to paint then it is paint to powdercoat. There just aren't as many shades with powdercoat. What color paint are you trying to match?

smooothone23

Red Hot Sunglo on a 09 FLHX. I saw that Primo wheels have a red painted wheel that is close but they call it a Sunburst Red.

thecort

Did you see it in person or a pic from their site? It'll probably be different in person. I'm not trying to put a damper on your project just want you to know that pics aren't usually accurate with paint color.

Tap it!

T

Thomason Performance

Check out powderbuythepound.com. When I need small quantities of powder I get it from them. They have a section just for Harley matched colors, and they have all been dead on. The black cherry matches Harley's exact. And they can mix custom colors for me, or I can mix them myself.

I do all my own powder coating in-house and do parts other than wheels so if anyone needs anything done give me a shout!

T

Thomason Performance

I can do metallics. they're a pain in the ass to get just right, but I can do them.

this is a high gloss gold flake over a flat black base coat. the first pic is the gold flake before it goes in the oven to bake. in the sunlight it's insane.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 146
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 144
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 151

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Wow! I didn't know you could do that with powder.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

True Kustom

You will not be able to match red hot sunglow with powder.

The "Sunglow" colors are candies and all the new ones have a color shift pearl in them.

Unless you are gravel diggin on your scoot, paint will stick and last on wheels. I have painted many.

Latest posts