Old School Stepped Lip

• Thread starter Thomason Performance
  • Start date
  • Help support Chopped Baggers :
T

Thomason Performance

So I had a really good customer of mine, Aaron Elliot of AE Custom Cycles and Salinas Boys, ask me to start machining a stepped lip in a wheel I do for him. It turned out so nice that I've decided to make it available on ANY wheel I manufacture. Personally, I'm getting a little tired of the same smooth lip on every wheel out there. It looks good on some wheels, but others really need a stepped lip. Plus it lightens the wheel up so much - and I'm all about performance - so the lighter the better for me. This is Aaron's 16" rear, that hasn't made it on the bike yet because he ordered it a week before the Born Free 4 show... This bike, and the wheels, will be on display at a Michael Lichter set-up during Sturgis so if you're there you can check it out in person.

Thanks,
Greg
Thomason Performance
603-661-4984
www.thomasonperformance.com

Next time you're in the market for wheels be sure and check us out. We don't farm anything out other than chrome and anodize. When you buy a wheel from Thomason Performance you know that I designed it, machined it, boxed it and shipped it. No other random machine shop has made your wheel for a company that just resells them. Can your wheel company say that?

Attachments

• aecustomcycles.jpg
    aecustomcycles.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN2865.jpg
    DSCN2865.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN2867.jpg
    DSCN2867.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN2868.jpg
    DSCN2868.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited by a moderator:
T

Thomason Performance

Very different. My opinion would be does that lip make it easier to hit if you mistakenly hit a pothole

I can't say to be honest. I doubt it will be any different. The tire not functioning correctly is what causes a wheel to get bent hitting a pot hole. Even the crappy low profile tires are designed to DOT standards to prevent that from happening. Although I'm a realist and I know tires don't do shit, especially when a 2 foot NYC pot hole swallows your front end and sends you over the handlebars - been there.

I can only look at history to answer your question - and the stepped lip has been around since before my dad and my uncle used to rake necks with a torch and broom handle... So I'm guessing it will be ok. Plus it's the same profile All American used to use on their blanks before they switched everything to the smooth lip style.

Greg
Thomason Performance
603-661-4984
www.thomasonperformance.com

Opunui

Greg looks good..when I ran low profile tires with a stepped rim my rim would see plenty of road rash from catching those NYC potholes

T

Thomason Performance

Let me guess - Brooklyn?

Thanks! Yeah, I mean physically speaking - there is less material there to resist the forces against it so it would be more apt to bend in some situations where the smooth rolled lip would not. As far as road rash on the sides - shouldn't be any different than a smooth lip wheel.

T

Thomason Performance

I bet they are. I'm guessing road repair on the islands is not high up on the priority list, lol...

thecort

Yep never was. I guess that's why we have the destingtion of having the worst roads in the country.

Well when you live in the prettiest place in the world, you gotta give up something!

Tap it!

Opunui

Wouldn't trade it for the world. I was just thinking you know on the 4th of July we were surfing a local break til 7:30pm.where in the world can you do that? Life is good.

T

Thomason Performance

Those look great Greg. I haven't seen a single design from you I didn't like.

Zach

Thanks Zach! I haven't gotten a compliment from you that I didn't like! :6 (3): Seriously though, thank you very much. It's always nice to know that the work is appreciated.

Latest posts