Oil cooler?

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Bagged64

Anyone running an oil cooler? Is it needed or not? Someone told me to throw one on, but I've never had one on any of my other bikes and don't see them on most bikes I see on here.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I would like to get one also, interested in seeing some opinions.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Buggy

One of THE 150!
Mine came with one and its still hot as hell, My buddy put one on his 96" and claims it runs cooler and another buddy put one on a built 103" and says its cooler also.

crutter

Site Supporter
The issue with oil coolers is that they are only effectively dissipating heat when there is air moving over the cooler fins. So they do not show much improvement in stop and go traffic. Jagg just released a cooler that has a fan mounted behind it so that there is always air moving across the cooler. Several manufactures also make a life time oil filter that mounts in an aluminum housing with heat sinks. Are you running synthetic oil? Another upgrade/option is to upgrade your oil pump and cam plate. Harley and fueling both make great units. They improve cooling by basically moving the oil through the motor at a higher rate. The more oil that moves through the more heat that is dissipated.

Sumo-X

I have the 103" and Dakota digital (which I love), nice having both oil temp and cyl head temp.
The first ride longer than 3 blocks I took the thing on it got pretty warm on the interstate. head temp almost 300 and oil 295, said screwit and got the hd oil cooler, temps went down to 245 and 225 for oil. I won't build another one without an oil cooler...jmo

Bill

I used to own some shit!
I have the 103" and Dakota digital (which I love), nice having both oil temp and cyl head temp.
The first ride longer than 3 blocks I took the thing on it got pretty warm on the interstate. head temp almost 300 and oil 295, said screwit and got the hd oil cooler, temps went down to 245 and 225 for oil. I won't build another one without an oil cooler...jmo
Good Info!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Zach

Site Supporter
I've been running a Jagg 10 row low mount for about 3 years. I don't run a thermostat either. Sending unit is in the oil pan. My oil temps never get over 220. Typically run about 190.

I recently had to pull the oil cooler off because of a seepage problem at the filter mount. Turns out one of the screws had stripped. Oil temps instantly are 30 to 40 degrees hotter without the cooler on. New housing from Nautical just showed up today, so the cooler is going back on.

As for them only being effective while the bike is moving..... that has not been my experience. Temps do rise in stop and go traffic, but they rise much slower with the cooler on and never get to the temps they do without the cooler.

I'm running a stock oil pump/plate, so I won't comment on the upgrade units promoting cooler running motors. I would imagine the ROI on making that change simply to cool things off is not very good.

Zach

88 Paladin

That's been my experience as well.
The cooler is not near as effective in stop and go traffic, but just circulating the oil out of the engine helps with cooling. I run synthetic as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2