My CHEAP addition to a homemade air ride setup

• Help support Chopped Baggers :
So I did the monroe air ride thingy... my tire bottoms out at about 9.75", so I had these turn signal clamps lying around from previous HD. I attached the clamp so that when the suspension is fully dsropped, it sits at about 10 1/8". Raised up its right at 13". I put them their more as a "failsafe", not a way to ride bottomed out. My biggest fear is having a homemade setup blow a line while riding 80-mph!

Here is a pic of them installed, and the 2nd one is with it all the way released... and please, no comments on the dirty ass rear brake!

airride up by lickmstickmman, on Flickr

airride down by lickmstickmman, on Flickr

Zach

Site Supporter
Great idea. What did you do to your bike? Didn't it used to be blue with orange and silver graphics?

Zach

Hey Zach, yup, it was done like that since 2003... it was time, so I redid it last summer. Way better now that I did a theme bike (see my albums of the before and after)
Great idea. What did you do to your bike? Didn't it used to be blue with orange and silver graphics?

Zach

TNTCC

Site Supporter
Great idea. Have the same issue and was looking to make some form of bump stop. Might have to borrow this one.

I wanted to do the same, just wasnt sure where a bump stop would go. I worry that the bag may get a hole in it from the clamp, but it is strickly there "just in case", and at that point, who cares what happens to the shocks, just dont want it to collapse and lock up the rear tire!
Great idea. Have the same issue and was looking to make some form of bump stop. Might have to borrow this one.

TNTCC

Site Supporter
I wanted to do the same, just wasnt sure where a bump stop would go. I worry that the bag may get a hole in it from the clamp, but it is strickly there "just in case", and at that point, who cares what happens to the shocks, just dont want it to collapse and lock up the rear tire!

No doubt.

Bagged64

Actually I would trust the homemade set up before I trust the Arnott set up, but then again I've done a lot of air bags on Cadillacs and I know what actually works. I think I'm going to replace all the lines and fittings on my Arnott system before I actually ride it. I would rather use pushloc fittings.

yardsale

Up in da one fiddy...
Last edited:
So your saying I should wrap the bumpstop so it wont cut the airbag? God I hope I didnt understand what you said!
Seems like the physiognomy of your chroma-ding might cut your jibling if you grand-slam at the casbah... might just wanna mule-pack the ringa-thingy with toolage so you can chill the swamp-ass in the event of phlatation...

Sorry - took a PMI-PMP certification exam this week and I'm still caught-up in the jargon

yardsale

Up in da one fiddy...
Ha! Sorry, it was a long day yesterday.

My comment depends on whether you slam it when you park or not (let the air all the way out to look cool - I know right? Who does that!?!) Anyway, seems like the stop might eventually damage the jiblets if you were slamming regularly. Otherwise, its not an issue... Definitely an great "plan B" if you have trouble out on the road.

Crap, I did get what u said... weird, at the Casbah! The couple of times I let it down while checking the height it seemd to envelope the bracket. one time it bunched up on itself... I cant see it being good on the bags in the long run, but figure I should have at least a few hundred decompresses in it... then spend $60 and get a new set! I just cant see investing in the $1400-$1700 systems, and these homemade ones are close to what Arnott offers...
Ha! Sorry, it was a long day yesterday.

My comment depends on whether you slam it when you park or not (let the air all the way out to look cool - I know right? Who does that!?!) Anyway, seems like the stop might eventually damage the jiblets if you were slamming regularly. Otherwise, its not an issue... Definitely an great "plan B" if you have trouble out on the road.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Honestly the monroes have more travel than the Arnott shocks, you can be completely slammed or ride as if you had a 13" shock.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Latest posts