Motor question

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Bagged64

Is there a way to tell if there has been work done to a motor without tearing it down. Took my bike out for it's first ride and this thing runs really damn good and strong. So either my speedo is messed up or somethings been done I think. It's a 2002 Road King, but 4th gear cruises about 80, 3rd about 65.

crutter

Site Supporter
Only thing you can really do Is check your compression pressures. Higher numbers would lead me to believe that it either has higher compression pistons or a set of cams. Does it have adjustable pushrods? That's a good indicator someone has been in the cam chest. What year bike?

crutter

Site Supporter
Sorry just saw it was an 02. How many miles on your motor? The cam chain tensioners on that motor are junk and you need to check them every 20k

Bagged64

Built on a Tues. Haha! and has 8200 miles on it. I know about the tensioners, because I had them done on my Fatboy a week before it was totaled. The guy I got it from got it off of a buddy whos choices were to put a breathalyzer on it or sell it. The guy told me it was stock,but the Fatboy never had this much power is why I am wondering if he just didn't know. I guess I'll take it to a friend that has a shop and have him look at it for me. Thanks.

Zach

Site Supporter
Compression check. If it is at or above 180 ccp work has been done. Pull exhaust to look into port like Opunui suggested. If you have access to a bore scope you could peek down a spark plug hole to see if the pistons are domed. Pull the cam cover and look for a part number on the cams.

Zach

Latest posts