Looking for a stereo upgrade

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Wanna Ride

Looking for some good, cost-effective ideas for stereo upgrades... I currently have the stock HK head unit, and the J&M Rokkers amp and fairing speakers in my '08 FLHX. I'd like to have more volume, and maintain clarity. I don't need to add a big sub, but just some speakers in the bags and an amp. I'd prefer to have the speakers mounted on the sides of the bags, facing inward, so they're hidden. I'd like to make this as simple as possible. Can I easily add an amp and a pair of speakers? If so, what components should I use, and how much can I expect to spend? I've installed everything I've ever owned myself, so I'm certain I can add this stuff too.

What are my best options? Do I back up and redesign this whole system with an aftermarket deck, or do I just add more stuff to what I already have? I'm willing to start over if that's best. I'm thinking that might be a viable option, because I can recoup a lot of cash by selling off the existing components.

Opunui

Wanna ride I had the same identical system on my 08. I ended up with a jl audio 400 amp,hertz 6.5 in the fairing and hertz 690 in the bags. Awsum system. And after market pioneer head unit. Just depends how much your willingly to spend

bradwulf20

i would start with replacing the speaker with a set of focal 6.5s, retune the amp with an oscilliscope. see how you like that and go from there. my advice for the next step is add some lower fairings (leg warmers), and throw another pair of 6.5s in them. alot more bang for your buck adding up front rather than in the back.

Wanna Ride

i would start with replacing the speaker with a set of focal 6.5s, retune the amp with an oscilliscope. see how you like that and go from there. my advice for the next step is add some lower fairings (leg warmers), and throw another pair of 6.5s in them. alot more bang for your buck adding up front rather than in the back.
Thanks for the tip, but I don't want to go back to lowers.

Wanna Ride

Wanna ride I had the same identical system on my 08. I ended up with a jl audio 400 amp,hertz 6.5 in the fairing and hertz 690 in the bags. Awsum system. And after market pioneer head unit. Just depends how much your willingly to spend
I really appreciate your input on this.
On a scale of 1 to 10, if a bone-stock/2-speaker system rates a 3, and the J&M Rokkers/2-speaker system rates a 5, would you say this setup rates a 7? If so, this may sound like a possibility. Just so I'm clear, is that a single amp? How does everything fit inside the fairing? Who makes the best kit to interface the hand controls, I keep hearing Biketronics. What kind of ballpark cost in parts?

I'm not necessarily looking to be the center of attention at a big bike show, I just want to annoy all the neighbors and disturb the peace.:1::1::1:

Opunui

It's a single amp.fits perfect in the fairing.i think I would rate it higher than a 7. The signal quality is superb. I took my hand controls out of the loop no longer using any modules.

Just changing your head unit is a big difference in quality. It seems IMO the stock unit suppresses the signal from the radio,but I am no way an expert in this field. Speakers are like opinions everybody has there's. I do like the Hertz.

Amp..300-400
6.5..200-300
Head unit..200
690..200-300
Interface..150+

Rozkopeeko

Hey brova I have 3 hog wire amps and Yaffe 6x9 lids for sale ... merlo sunglo painted also factory stock wire harness needed to use stock head unit with iPod and sattilite radio.. I upgraded to JL and rockford fosgates ....

yaffe lids SOLD

Last edited:

Big Evil

Site Supporter
Bradwulf 20,
How do you tune using an oscilloscope?
When doing this what are you looking for?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Bradwulf 20,
How do you tune using an oscilloscope?
When doing this what are you looking for?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You need a test tone cd, you tune until the signal starts to get clipped.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

True Kustom

I have been installing audio in various bikes for the last couple weekends straight. Ranging from basic speaker upgrades to full systems.

GET RID OF THE STOCK STEREO. They sound like shit. Put in an Alpine or comparable Pioneer, Kenwood even JVC. Spend more than $125 on it. I have been using the SONY DSX-M60 and they are cool but still lacking in sound control. Miles above the stock unit though. Alpine CDA-9886M, killer unit, good sound lots of control.

I am a sound tuner, my stereos sound good when they leave. But the stock HD headunits are the hardest to tune.

Better sound costs money. Period.

JL stuff is SICK. Way better than Focal.

So far the ARC amps have been great, clean, reliable and versatile.

DAPERFORMANCE

Extreme Vendor
I am a fan of jl audio. But if u wanna spend big money focal makes high line speakers that are way better

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Red

Site Supporter
I had 2 Alpine 6x9's in each bag, 1 facing inward and 1 facing forward and an Alpine 4x100 amp in the bag. It sounds great but I changed to Rockford Fosgate 6x9's due to problems with the speakers. For upfront speakers prior to the fairing install I used the handlebar systems 3 inch mids mounted to the handlebar. System puts out plenty!

Latest posts