Keep blowing headlight/taillight fuse

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

98customRoadGlide

So over the last week I've blown about 5 fuses. I took my seat off and checked the wiring and had a few wires that had some wire showing so I taped them up and I'm still blowing fuses. So now I'm curious if it's something in my front fairing shorting out!

98customRoadGlide

No I dunno if there's wires under there, my lights for the rear go in my saddlebags and all those wires are good. Something is shorting out! You know it didn't start blowing fuses until one of my floorboard bolts vibrated out! I know that prolly has nothing to do with anything but I'm new to Harley so who knows.

crutter

Site Supporter
You can isolate it by taking either your headlight or tail light out and see what happens. If you take the headlight out and the fuse blows then look towards your taillight wiring. And vice versa.

Opunui

Can you get to your wire harness and shake it around to see if you can get that fuse to blow. Might be grounding out where you can't see it. It's got to be a common wire to both

98customRoadGlide

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339213591.490556.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1339213601.715368.jpg

Took my outer fairing off and found this broken ground wire hanging there and had lot of wire shown. So I figure it must be vibrating and touching metal and popping my fuse!

Wanna Ride

That's not the source of the problem. Good that you found it and fixed it, but how can a ground wire touching metal, blow a fuse?
99.9% of the time, the only thing that can blow a fuse, is a direct short... of a power wire, not a ground wire.

Wanna Ride

Opunui and crutter are spot on. Somewhere, you have a short.

Something just occurred to me... perhaps it's the brake light? You know how to use a multimeter? You'll need the help of a friend to start wiggling wires while you ohm out the individual circuits. Look for erratic resistance fluctuations while wiggling the wires. This really shouldn't be that hard to find. Start with any areas that have obviously recently been worked on... mods, service, repairs, etc.

98customRoadGlide

Yea it's wiered because 2 weeks ago I put on new tail lights but they are still 12v lights and I rode a good 2 weeks and no problems, now all of sudden there's a short somewhere.

bagger specialties

One of THE 150!
Put in new light assembly , but still used the wiring that existed. Thanks for all your guys input, hopefully soon I can narrow down the problem.

well thats where i would start . take the assembly of the fender and carefuly inspect the wires . crack ,cuts , pinch , what ever. its probly rubbing on the fender and then when it makes contact with it . IT pops the fuse.

oh what is the tail light assembly you put on. Is it an LED.

Bagged64

Did you do anything to your controls or bars lately. I put on some apes and a fter a couple weeks started blowing fuses, ended up wires being pinched in there. Try loosening controls if you can't find it anywhere else.

98customRoadGlide

Well the fuse blew again, I tore apart the fairing to see if there was any wires pinching or any wires shorting out, well there wasn't. Only thing I can think of is I got 13 inch shocks on with a 2 inch lowering kit and when you hit a decent bump it always bottoms out and that could be pinching my rear lights and blowing the fuse. I got burly slammer shocks coming so we will see if it happens with them!

crutter

Site Supporter
That's the ticket. Your taillight wiring runs down the right side of the fender and also under the fender. The outer sheathing of the harness might look good but take it apart and check each wire individually. Also check and make sure that the connections at the lights are tight.

thecort

Does the fuse just blow out of nowhere or do you hit a bump or two then it blows?

Tap it!

Latest posts