Idling High

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Dirt_Guy

Hey guys, I have a question for you motor-heads.

My buddy is having a problem with his 2006 Street Glide. It has the 95 big bore, SE cams, and SE tuner that's been installed before he bought the cycle. Recently he has had issues with it idling high. Once he starts the engine it jumps to 2500 rpm and it doesn't drop off. He's taken it for a 30 minute ride just to see if it would drop rpm after warming up but still idles at 2500. He ran sea foam in his fuel on his last ride to see if it was an injector problem but that didn't fix anything. I told him to re-download his tune to the ECU so he's been hunting around for the stuff to do that.

Any other suggestions?

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
Get a can of eather, use it to check for a leak on the intake side.

That will cause a bad read in a tune at the o2 sensor. Calling for more fuel.

Just a guess, and I've had this happen on many efi mustangs.

DCHBGR

Site Supporter
He already has you on the right track.....just be careful with that eather!!! lol

Get a can of eather, use it to check for a leak on the intake side.

That will cause a bad read in a tune at the o2 sensor. Calling for more fuel.

Just a guess, and I've had this happen on many efi mustangs.

Zach

Site Supporter
He could have a dirty IAC motor. Get a can of brake cleaner and spray it in the hole on the top of the throttle bore just below the motor. You need to do this while you cycle the ignition. This is what makes the motor rotate so the clenaer gets all the way through it. You should see the cleaner turn black as it runs back out the hole. Keep doing this until the cleaner stays clean. Do this while the engine is off.

Zach

Marc

He could have a dirty IAC motor. Get a can of brake cleaner and spray it in the hole on the top of the throttle bore just below the motor. You need to do this while you cycle the ignition. This is what makes the motor rotate so the clenaer gets all the way through it. You should see the cleaner turn black as it runs back out the hole. Keep doing this until the cleaner stays clean. Do this while the engine is off.

Zach

Does the IAC work with the TPS? I've had a TPS move on a 5.0 causing the same type reaction.. And do HD's have the same theory for the TPS?

Zach

Site Supporter
Not totally sure, but this is the way I understand it. The IAC only operates at idle. It controls the amount of air the engine gets when the throttle is closed via a threaded "valve" that turns up and down as the ignition system is cycled. Occasionally they get dirty and don't "close" all the way allowing too much air in at idle. This results in a high idle situation.

I suppose if the TPS was out of cailbration the same situation could happen. Basically the TPS would never see "zero %" throttle.

Zach

Marc

Not totally sure, but this is the way I understand it. The IAC only operates at idle. It controls the amount of air the engine gets when the throttle is closed via a threaded "valve" that turns up and down as the ignition system is cycled. Occasionally they get dirty and don't "close" all the way allowing too much air in at idle. This results in a high idle situation.

I suppose if the TPS was out of cailbration the same situation could happen. Basically the TPS would never see "zero %" throttle.

Zach

True. The TPS on a 5.0 can move if it gets loose causing the ECM to say more feul..

Dirt_Guy

Thanks guys. We'll have to test it out tomorrow. I know the cables are good. They pull and return as they should.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Dirt_Guy

Could it be a temp sensor? Cleaner the IAC and nothing changed. TPS seems to be working properly.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Dirt_Guy

I don't think he has. Him and his dad are mechanically inclined and every recommendation you've made I've passed on. It sounds like they already tried those avenues with no success. Now that hunting season is in I doubt he'll take the time to do anything with it till spring is around the corner. Thanks for the help though.

Marc

Yea maybe, but I wasnt talking about a port leaking, I was talking about a gasket leaking. Thats why I asked, it could be leaking at the head or behind the throttle body... its got to be leaking behind the throttle body and before the head..

well I hope he gets it fixed... and bags a big buck to..

Marc

Dirt_Guy

Alright, I'll pass on the tip. I think they were just checking the IAC rather than any leaks.

I'm sure he'll get a nice deer or 2. He's one of those fancy ones that is sponsored by a hunting show company so he gets free bows and other goodies. Big investment in the video camera and trail cameras for the hunts.

Latest posts