How to rake and double curve down tube your 08 frame for a 26" wheel - by Pickard USA

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
Here's a step by step tutorial on how to properly rake and add curved downtubes to your stock HD frame. We started with a 08 style frame (09 will be different, we will start a new thread for that year model) in our frame jig and squared the frame and cut the neck off.

IMG_1102.jpg

Next we mark where we will cut the backbone, neck, and downtubes
IMG_1115.jpg

cut frame in marked areas
IMG_1117.jpg

chopped frame
IMG_1119.jpg

now it's time to start setting your neck height, stretch and rake. Since we are doing a 26, we decided to set our neck at 35 deg for proper trail and stretched it out about 1.75" for adequate clearance for the tank and fairing
IMG_1124.jpg

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
To properly connect the curved downtubes, you MUST slug the stock frame to your new downtubes. This adds strength to the frame. We machined these to connect the stock frame diameter to our 1.25" diameter curved downtubes
IMG_1125.jpg

another view of the frame set up
IMG_1126.jpg

the backbone will be sleeved with a new square tube that is 2.25" square. We measured the length and welded the "raked" portion to the backbone. The angle was set at 30 deg to give us a final neck angle of 35 deg. Once the piece was welded, we notched it to mate up to our neck
IMG_1127.jpg

here is a pic of the backbone tacked in place, connecting the stock frame to the new neck
IMG_1128.jpgIMG_1131.jpg

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
to make the curved downtubes, you can make a wood buck and heat up the tubing and form it to your buck (or you can use a tube roller if you have one)
IMG_1135.jpg

Once you get the desired bend, you can mock up the downtubes for proper fitment. Remember to check for adequate clearance for the motor...
IMG_1137.jpgIMG_1138.jpg

next step is to measure and cut your downtubes to cope against the neck. Notice how tight the fitment is, this is what you should aim for.
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1142.jpg

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
once all the tubes are notched, it's time to weld! We're fortunate to have a rotisserie style jig, which makes welding MUCH easier, but its not necessary. However, doing a frame this way REQUIRES a jig...
IMG_1143.jpgIMG_1144.jpg

here's the frame all welded up
IMG_1145.jpgIMG_1146.jpgIMG_1147.jpg

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
I forgot to take pics of the making of the neck gusset plates, but here is the finished product. We traced a paper pattern and cut it out of 1/8 in steel plate. You will need to do a little shaping to get the gusset to sit nicely onto the frame before welding. This plate adds strength and structural rigidity to the new half of the frame
IMG_1157.jpgIMG_1159.jpg

here's a pic of the frame all welded up and metal finished (no bondo buckets here! ;)) Next step will be to box in the front and back of the gussets
IMG_1170.jpgIMG_1171.jpgIMG_1172.jpg

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
for the back area of the neck gussets, we cut a piece and shaped it to the curvature of the gussets and welded them in place
IMG_1193.jpg

for the front area between the downtubes, we shaped a piece that fit between the frame and welded them in. We decided to dish in the filler piece, but that's not necessary. We just like the look of the dished piece. A bit more work, but well worth it
IMG_1197.jpg

pickardbaggerparts

Extreme Vendor
here's the final product... stretched, raked, and curved bagger frame for a 26" wheel set up. If yall have any questions, please feel free to contact me. If you want to send in your frame, we offer this service as well. PM for details.
IMG_1189.jpgIMG_1190.jpgIMG_1192.jpgIMG_1198.jpg

We hope everyone enjoyed this thread. We will keep posting tech articles to contribute to this forum. We want everyone to build their custom baggers SAFELY AND PROPERLY. We have seen a lot of junk out there and it is very dangerous if not done in the right way. Ride safe!

smokenjoep01

Great to see you guys here on Chopped baggers. I strongly considered your custom bagger frame when I was looking for a custom frame for my project. I Just didnt hear enough about yall. Look forward to seeing more from yall. Welcome

Latest posts