How to mount my tank

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Aaugman

So the tank I have on my bike is a demons replica of the Yaffee tank, I solid mounted the tank and bad a crack develop on the rear mount, so now I have to redo it. What would you guys recommend ? Cut those tabs off and weld on new rubber mount ? Have vertical rubber mounts front and back or just front and have a horizontal (stock) rear rubber mount ? I dont want to have to redo it this again...

smokenjoep01

Most those knock off tanks leak around were the mounts are welded. Thats the difference between a knock off and the real thing. Most likely your best off cutting the bracket off and have it tig welded on by a professional. Should be no reason you would want to rubber mount your tank. Your motor is already isolated from the frame. JMHO

shadow

I've got the Demons cycle tank as well,I inspected it pretty good inside an out all seemed to be pretty solid and i don't see any difference between this one and Yaffes tank.I will double check again all welds,Inside coating is done and is ready for paint.Glad to see this thread cause it can never hurt to double check again.

shadow

Aaugman do you have any pictures of your tank mounted?Mine is going to be painted this week or next. I know they are real similar to Yaffe just a little bit deeper up front can never hurt to see more pics.Thanks!

Aaugman

Shadow, I cut mine in half and narrowed it up, I think it cracked because of that, not because of build quality.

Smoken: My bike is a hardtail with a solid mount 110" Evo, Any cons to rubber mounting the tank ?

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2053.jpg
    IMG_2053.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 133

smokenjoep01

Once you use the sealer inside your done. Have it tig welded and pressure tested.
I have never rubber mounted a tank, ebven on rigid mount/ and suspension. If your bracket is properly welded its going to stay mounted, even with the weight of it full of fuel. Did you pressure test your seam in a water tank when you welded it back together?

Aaugman

Yes I did have it sealed and pressure tested, It cracked at the rear mount, the weight of the tank and I think a haul down the highway flat out cracked the rear mount above the weld. I think what I'm going to do is cut the messy rear mount off, and have someone tig a new piece on and then mount some new heavier duty mounts. What is the disadvantage of rubber mount ?

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Yes I did have it sealed and pressure tested, It cracked at the rear mount, the weight of the tank and I think a haul down the highway flat out cracked the rear mount above the weld. I think what I'm going to do is cut the messy rear mount off, and have someone tig a new piece on and then mount some new heavier duty mounts. What is the disadvantage of rubber mount ?

For one you will introduce movement, which I think would lend to more cracks in the future.

Aaugman

That what I thought in the beginning which is why I solid mounted it first...agg, this is a PITA !!!

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Let's see a pic of this tab.

When welding structural tabs to sheet metal there are a few things you can do to spread the load.

Opunui

My opinion is if there mounted in a three peice design..meaning you have two front mounts and one back make sure the front are rubber mounted with vibration isolation pads then you can solid mount the rear. i would never mount it solid all the way around.

Aaugman

You can't mount 1 solid and one rubber, that would create even more stress. why do you think the sporty's are rubber mounted ? The sheet metal of the tank is so thin, I think I'm going to tig additional steel to the bottom and then weld a tab onto that. I'll take some pics when I get the chance to work on it.

Opunui

What are you talking about one solid one rubber.the mounts are trianglated for a reason. And what you might think that the tank are rigid mounted there not. There is play in the forward mounts however very slight.rigid mounted with no vibration isolaters causes undo metal fatigue and stress at the weldments.

smokenjoep01

For one you will introduce movement, which I think would lend to more cracks in the future.
THIS!
Just make sure the metal your welding to is of the same gauge or thicker than what the thickness is of the bracket. Build it twice as thick as you think it would need to be. Look closely around the area were tabs are welded on to the stock tanks. There layered to increase thickness in those stressed area's. JMHO

Latest posts