How to make dual exhaust outlets on Bags

Badboy808

Site Supporter
Hi i have these bags that i want cut out for dual exhaust fish tails, what would you guys recommend in cutting the holes out. dirtybirdsaddlebags.jpg

Wanna Ride

I'd probably start by removing the fender and bags, then install the exhaust. Once that's installed, , start cutting away the fender sideskirts, a little at a time until you have the correct clearance. That would you give you a good idea how much (if any) that you'd need to cut out of the bags.

I'd use an airsaw, or if you don't have one, then use an electric jigsaw.

reficul

I would use a multi tool. It won't get away from you like a roto zip or jig saw. You could use a hole saw too since fish tails are skinny pipe

DanHappy

Making the rounded edge not look like you chewed it with your teeth is going to be the hard part. A hole saw would work to get the correct edge. Then you could use an air saw or jigsaw to finish. Hard part would be to find the center and drill. After that, the next hard part is not screwing up the paint job. Lots of tape would work.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

reficul

If a jigsaw can get away from you, you might want to stay away from power tools all together.
Fiberglass and weird angles. I have owned those bags you don't have a nice surface to rest the deck of a jigsaw. It's gonna bounce all over the place. The back of the bags are about 4" wide boxed out. It's not just a flat surface.

Wanna Ride

Fiberglass and weird angles. I have owned those bags you don't have a nice surface to rest the deck of a jigsaw. It's gonna bounce all over the place. The back of the bags are about 4" wide boxed out. It's not just a flat surface.
Any power tool can get away from you, if you get too aggressive or try to rush it.

I've worked lots of fiberglass truck/car bodies, hoods and fenders with unusual contours, over the last 25+ years, and too often it was somewhere where there wasn't access to an adequate compressor, where you could use an air-saw. Use painter's tape to completely cover the bottom of the jig-saw, cut shy of the line, then use a dremel/sanding drum to dial in the exact radius and size. Not ideal, but certainly gets the job done, and can look perfect if a guy takes his time. Some of us do, but in the average DIY garage, not everyone has a compressor, an air-saw, and a die grinder.

BigChief

Just out of curiosity have you consider trying to sell those bags and buy extended bags with dual cutout already. May save you heart ache if you damage a nice painted set of bags already

Badboy808

Site Supporter
Just out of curiosity have you consider trying to sell those bags and buy extended bags with dual cutout already. May save you heart ache if you damage a nice painted set of bags already[/QUOTE

yeah . true maybe ill sell it . Thanks

Latest posts