Hot engine question

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

Baddd bagger

Moderator and Buddy.
Hello all, my 09 street glide decided to start running hotter then usual, it has a 103 factory installed on it and it came with Harley's oil cooler. I had a reading on the stick the other day of 265 now that's f-ing hot so I changed the oil and I always use the synthetic, I don't know much about the oil cooler but I've been told the thermostat on it can go bad, has anybody experienced this and if I were to change what is a good oil cooler to go with, thanks for the help D

Zach

Site Supporter
265 isn't that bad. My experience is limited to the Jagg 10 row horizontal mount. It dropped my oil temps at least 20 degrees. I don't run a thermostat either. I made a leather cover for the winter.

One common reason for an engine suddenly running hot is oil sumping. Basically the oil stays in the engine sump rather than being scavenged through the system properly. Usually a mis-aligned pump or a split o-ring is the cause.

Zach

Zach

Baddd bagger

Moderator and Buddy.
Thanks zach my buddy said 265 is way to hot it use to run around 230, my oil pressure use to be a line or 2 above 32psi and not it's down a line below 32 I just don't gt it:11 (2):

Opunui

It's not your oil pressure. I run 5 psi on my shovels and panheads. Did you change settings on your ECM with your tuner? Ignition timing retarded due to defective ECM or faulty sensor (s) ( tmap and/ or ckp). How many miles.

Zach

Site Supporter
If its only dropping 2psi and is only running 30 degrees hotter, I wouldn't worry about it. Oil could just be breaking down and losing some viscosity. Sumping is generally followed by a noticeable decrease in engine performance which comes and goes.

Zach

Baddd bagger

Moderator and Buddy.
Thanks guys, I haven't changed any settings anywhere on the bike it was all set up from the dealer. There is no foam in the tank and I just changed the oil on Friday but still seems a bit warm, the temp outside is only running about 90 where I am and I'm not riding it in the heat of the day. How could I by pass the thermostat on the oil cooler or maybe I will just replace the stock cooler with another dual one. Thanks for the info

Zach

Site Supporter
Jagg offers both a thermostat filter adapter and a non-thermostat version. I just went with the non t-stat version. One of the big reasons I went with the Jagg is a trusted shop told me they bypass the least amount of oil. I did some digging and found other people validating that same claim. Those same people also feel the HD cooler bypasses the most amount of oil. I figured what's the point of the cooler if it bypasses some of the oil. I've been happy with mine.

http://www.jagg.com/filter-adapters.html

Zach