Homemade ZX14 Electra Glide Fairing

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

smokenjoep01

Well it's either going to be build or bust on this one. I love the look of the zx14 fairing morfed into the Electra glide fairing. But the $1,700.00 cost makes it not even a consideration. So here's my attempt.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339499129.678745.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339499147.510380.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339499165.692846.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339499182.590857.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueMountain

nice great idea, you can plastic weld that fairing, ive made those EG fairings fit many things lol, whats the jap fairing made of? if its a similer plastic you may be able to weld all the bits together, its way stronger and lighter than fiber glass, there should be letters on the back, ie: ppoe

thecort

Oh boy...necessity is the mother of invention! Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Tap it!

smokenjoep01

nice great idea, you can plastic weld that fairing, ive made those EG fairings fit many things lol, whats the jap fairing made of? if its a similer plastic you may be able to weld all the bits together, its way stronger and lighter than fiber glass, there should be letters on the back, ie: ppoe
Seems both are made of some type of plastic. I intend on buildning this part as a plug to make a mold. Then pop a lay over out of the mold. Or possibly a complete bolt up fairing.
Im going to get the head lights for it in the next couple days. Then get it bolted to my triple trees to get the proper rake angle. Then I will have a better idea what needs to happen.

BlueMountain

i see, id cut it all up into sections, piece it together like a jig saw puzzle get it all lined up in the right spots, then weld it all together, use thin cut offs for welding rods, shape it all with a hot air gun then mold it with filler too finish the outside, maybe a thin layer of glass in the inside for extra strength. If it needed it probably wouldn't welded right.
Mold making is a fine art, at the end of the day how many fairings do you plan to make?
Ive made funny car bodys and done 100s of car body kits, for 1 offs we just make stuff fit, ive seen molds take 100s of man hours then turn out crap finished items cause of poor surface finishes, bad reactions the list is endless lol

smokenjoep01

i see, id cut it all up into sections, piece it together like a jig saw puzzle get it all lined up in the right spots, then weld it all together, use thin cut offs for welding rods, shape it all with a hot air gun then mold it with filler too finish the outside, maybe a thin layer of glass in the inside for extra strength. If it needed it probably wouldn't welded right.
Mold making is a fine art, at the end of the day how many fairings do you plan to make?
Ive made funny car bodys and done 100s of car body kits, for 1 offs we just make stuff fit, ive seen molds take 100s of man hours then turn out crap finished items cause of poor surface finishes, bad reactions the list is endless lol

Sounds like you may need to stay tuned and keep me pointed in the right direction. As for how many I will make? I would be happy with one! But my glass guys feels that if there was a interest, he would have a mold to be able to make as many are needed. Im no glass guy, so I value your opinoin as its good to have some other info other than just what my glass has. What your thoughts?

BlueMountain

happy too help if i wasnt in New Zealand id weld it up for you for fun, as it is i like this idea, personalty i like bikes individualized as much as possible, you can do a hell of a lot with plastics, its about shapes, body lines, vents and custom lights, the only limits yer own imagination, i bet any body shop worth its lift would have plastic welding gear, basic kit is a hot air gun, a dremel tool ,a soldering gun and a focused hot air welder, dermel off the edges, spot weld with the solder gun, apply plastic in lines with the plastic welder, over lap the welds on both sides, adjust the shape with the hot air gun, like a paint stripper gun, after appling the plastic use the soldering gun again along all edges, oh and weld on the inside

smokenjoep01

Wow! There is a zx to batwing fairing out there? This will be crazy kool! good luck Joe, looks like ur gonna need it.
I dont think there is a ZX14 street glide. But there is a 636
Ballistic 636 Street Glide Fairing

The Ballistic 636 Street Glide Fairing includes the sporty ZX-6R headlight assembly. Made of durable fiberglass with a gel coat finish that easily bonds over the OEM outer fairing for a perfect fit and alignment. Light bulbs not included. Headlight assembly has additional places for bulbs to be used as running lights or turn signals. $1899

Opunui

Joe I will be doing the same build just waiting on my ZX14 fairing. It's not that hard to do as I have built countless of fiberglass molds.
I will be doing a complete one piece fairing. Will keep you posted.

Aloha,
Bobby

Crazy Beaver

Opunui I will be watching your fairing build, I want to do something similar with different headlights. I have done some small fiberglass work but nothing this big, sounds like you know what you are doing I might have a few questions when it comes time.

Latest posts