HOG Rally BS

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

ddavis

If you have nothing better to do than read pointless ramblings keep reading, otherwise, hit the back button.

Rain looked like it was going to stay away for the day, so I decided to meet up with a buddy at the local 13 Rebels MC tattoo / bike show. I wasn't planning on entering the show, but when I got there they said $500 for best of show. Okay, why not. So I won American Custom and Best of Show. Two trophies and $500 richer. Cool.

Me and buddy head across town to rally headquarters for the state HOG rally, so he can pays his dues to go to the "free" concert. Anyhow, bike show is still open, so I think why not. Can I go 2 for 2 in the same day? They put me in radical custom against an older non-HD frame bike. Not sure what it is. EASY win... I should have got pics, but didn't.... Trust me on this one. Fast forward... they only give 1st for each class. I tell myself every year I am NOT renewing my HOG membership, and this proved why. A hands down win, and they gave it to the other guy. I got Best Paint. It was one of those, "how do we give out all the awards and keep everybody happy" type deals. I had numerous people tell me they voted for mine for best of show. Yet Best of Show went to the only female owned bike in the show. Wow, but OK whatever. You would think a big corporation could one up the local MC Club and pony up some real $ just to draw a crowd. Nope, they gave away $50 gift cards, and as we all know, they cost HD $25 to begin with. Anyway, all of this means nothing, shows are opinioned based and just give me a reason to detail the bike. I'm good with that.

This is really what pissed me off. As I'm pulling away some guy walks up and says "hey I saw your bike at the dealership, and another guy said your bike handles like shit". I was like "who said that"? Is he here? If he is let's ride the local twisties. Nope, he wasn't there at the time. So I just politely said he made an uneducated bullshit comment.

All in all I did come away Franklins richer on the day.

dbell66253

One of THE 150!
Congrats on the win, I saw a situation like yours happen earlier this year, one bike was clearly better than another, more attention to detail, everything, but the guy who was in the "clique" won. The thing that made it even worse was his bike wasn't too clean and even had a few scrathes on it, most of the people I talked with felt the same way I did, out of the 6 bikes in the class, he may have been #4 tops.

bagdaddy09

There's a show here in Indy called "Steel Horse". Some of the "Bikes of the Week" are stock bikes with Indian air brush or just covered with skulls. I've been at bike night with them and there would be tons of other bikes that people drool over. I'm not sure how some of their bikes are picked.

coolerman69

One of THE 150!
Congrats on the win! I feel your pain. Got my ass handed to me yesterday. I clearly lost best of show against a 60k+ Hellbent customs bike but I felt like I should have got best custom(BOS winner not eligible). Lost to a dirty, ugly, poorly painted, rusted bolt heads, wiring wrapped with duct tape, Duo Glide copy. Several in the crowd was shocked. Oh well!

coolerman69

One of THE 150!
I wasn't being diplomatic enough! I didn't even know when the judges came by. They were sneaky!

hellbent customs

Site Supporter
Well i saw pretty much the same as you no detail to speak of on the duo glide and no business winning.... i'm very critical of the bikes i have built over the years and tend to let other bikes slide when i look at them for detail but there were 3 or 4 bikes there that should have come in before the duo but thats just how i saw it... all and all it was a nice day and really good to see you again.

keebee

Haters are going to hate. Wonder if the guys saying your bike handles like shit are the same ones running a car tire on the back of their bike to save a few bucks. ;)

Latest posts