Help with monotubes and rake w/26

Sinner77

I'm redoing my front end and bought a set of the lowered monotubes. I realized that I can't run them w the fork tube extensions because the monos screw into the tubes themselves and basically replace the fork cap. Without the extensions I'm losing several inches of travel even with bumpstops. I'm running an American suspension bolt on kit w a 26" wheel and wrap fender. How is everyone using the monos? Should I get the standard length monos or is there a way to make this work?

Sinner77

15 road glide. It's the standard American Susp 26 kit. I found the hhi extensions for the monotubes on line a few mins ago. They look promising.

Sinner77

At second glance I don't think the HHI extensions will work w the new monotubes for the touring bikes

Attachments

Last edited:

Willy_b

I don't think it's possible. Most, if not all raked trees are clamp style on the top tree. I studied this for about 2 weeks in my garage trying to figure a way to do it with my AS bolt on kit. Never could come up with a way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinner77

I don't think it's possible. Most, if not all raked trees are clamp style on the top tree. I studied this for about 2 weeks in my garage trying to figure a way to do it with my AS bolt on kit. Never could come up with a way to do it.

So my only option I'm guessing is the progressive lowering springs and sell the monos? What did you end up doing?

Willy_b

So my only option I'm guessing is the progressive lowering springs and sell the monos? What did you end up doing?
Yup. That's exactly what I did. Miss my monotubes like crazy though.

Sinner77

So you used the lowering springs? How much did you drop it and how much travel did you end up with? I'd love to see a pic if you have one.

Willy_b

So you used the lowering springs? How much did you drop it and how much travel did you end up with? I'd love to see a pic if you have one.
Yes. Dropped it about 1.5". I have almost 3" of travel. Using bump stops of course.

Sinner77

Bike looks great. I was wondering if the extensions are 2-3", if u eliminated them and used the standard length monotubes, wouldn't it be essentially the same as using the extensions with a lowered monotube? Would that be an option?

Willy_b

Bike looks great. I was wondering if the extensions are 2-3", if u eliminated them and used the standard length monotubes, wouldn't it be essentially the same as using the extensions with a lowered monotube? Would that be an option?
My extensions are 2". If you eliminated them and ran standard length anything, you'd probably only have 1.5-2" max of travel.

Sinner77

My extensions are 2". If you eliminated them and ran standard length anything, you'd probably only have 1.5-2" max of travel.

So then is your opinion that even if I use the extensions, I should use standard length springs? Whether the 2" gets added at the top or the bottom, the travel would be affected the same amount no?

Sinner77

I ended up ordering the race tech complete front end kit w emulators. We'll see how they work.

Willy_b

Did you have to install an adjustable fairing bracket?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
No. It is a one position bracket made by California Baggers that is designed for the AS 26 bolt on kit.

Latest posts