Gas Tank thread repair

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

tech643

Does anybody know of a tap to thread chase the hole in a fuel tank for the petcock. I have a Paul Yaffe Tank that I had coated and some of te coating got onto the threads and I want to tap the threads. What size tap??? Thanks for the Help. Tank is for 09 and up...

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Take the tank or fitting to fastenal. They should be able to get the tap.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

TNTCC

Site Supporter
Would be better with a thread chaser. Won't cut threads, it will only clean the threads that are there. You can also use a thread file with the correct pitch.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
Or a bolt with a slit or two cut it it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Opunui

Would be better with a thread chaser. Won't cut threads, it will only clean the threads that are there. You can also use a thread file with the correct pitch.

The only problem with a thread file is finding one,and with fine threads it is easy to cross thread.thread chaser is a better option? Both are good options if your chasing male threads.i believe he is chasing females so only a tap would work

Last edited:

tech643

Thanks for the input, yes I'm chasing female threads. It is the hole on the underside of tank were the fitting goes for the fuel injection. I'm thinking it is 22mm threads but still doing some research. Fastenal wants $80.00 for a tap that size. Thanks for all the Help....

TNTCC

Site Supporter
The only problem with a thread file is finding one,and with fine threads it is easy to cross thread.thread chaser is a better option? Both are good options if your chasing male threads.i believe he is chasing females so only a tap would work

They make male and female thread chasers. Mine are Snap-on but I'm sure there are cheaper models out there.

Latest posts