Foam work on fender and bags

ClassiCutCustoms

Site Supporter
Just so I understand...... Can this be done with stock parts or are you just working with a fiberglass fender already? I can see this being easy to do on stock bags but I can't get my head around how to do this to a stock steel fender.

dogknott

Site Supporter
From what I've gathered from reading all the threads on here the shit will damn near stick to anything. But any of the fenders I've seen modified with the foam were aftermarket fiberglass ones so maybe that's for a reason. I'm fixing to order the stuff and give it a shot on an old cheap ass set of bags & fender I've got put up in the attic

DSmoke

Yes, it will stick to pretty much anything. I stretched my stock tank with it so no issues bonding to the steel. I used an overlay fender and cut and modified that. It was easier to do that than try to build my own with the glass.

sscglide

Site Supporter
Thanks joebagger i didnt know i had this skill intil i said meh whats the worst that can happen

sscglide

Site Supporter
Yes its my bike before basically use some 40 grit on the bags blow off the filings build yourself a form abit bigger than you want the bags to be extended pour in the 2 part foam ones its cured pull the mold off cut and ahape ilwith a knife and sanding blocks very crucial part cause it cant be changed after adding fiberglass

Gumptattoo

Site Supporter
I used a hacksaw blade to shape mine and it worked well on the foam. Don't be scared to make the foam bigger than you need and make sure you get fiberglass compatible foam. I bought the wrong stuff the first time and my glass melted it.

DMC

Site Supporter
uploadfromtaptalk1436962289520.JPG

Use one of these. I also used a coarse file for the finer shaping. A reciprocating saw made quick work of removing the big pieces.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DSmoke

I made my foam perfect, but I'm a carpenter/builder so sanding and shaping was easy, however it was not so perfect after that messy ass fiberglass. So, don't worry about being perfect with the foam, get it close, glass is up nice, then time for filler. Good luck, and I would say enjoy, but I doubt anyone really enjoys all the work to get to the finished product.

ClassiCutCustoms

Site Supporter
I hear you. I am the perfectionist type but glass can be a challenge. A few years ago I made my first cedar strip canoe. It was 6 months of evenings but it turned out really nice.. Before that all my glass work was making boats from molds (small ones) and that is different. I do know that one key is a initial resin layer that is slightly tacky and it holds the glass in place. Then just being careful with the resin. I am sure the worst part is the filler coats and Bondo work.

sscglide

Site Supporter
Handy having your own little booth to paint and powdercoat in at home bpdy work done and high build primer on uploadfromtaptalk1437568996039.jpguploadfromtaptalk1437569023391.jpguploadfromtaptalk1437569048495.jpguploadfromtaptalk1437569058910.jpguploadfromtaptalk1437569177096.jpg

sscglide

Site Supporter
Thanks man ive invested alot of money havin good tools and if your in the shop enough may as well spend the money