Filling fibergalss saddlebag exhaust holes

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

tboner

I'd like to change from rear exhaust to side mount exhaust, problem is I dont know much about fiberglas bodywork.
I do have some basic knowledge working with body fillers but never glas.
Does anyone have a ste by step or can they share their how to fill the exhaust home in glass bags.....?

I checked you tube but comes up empty........and did a search here but cam eup empty.
A local shop wants 300. to fill them but I know I can do it......or at least try.

thx

slothy

Balls
not sure if there is a better or more correct way , but my painter basically built a fence on where he wanted it outa paint sticks, taped it all up and taped the bottom, creating a pool and filled it in with glass/resin.

Opunui

Make a cardboard template get yourself some high density foam. Cut the foam out to your template. Sand good all the way around where you will patching. Get yourself some finishing resin and catalist.now the first thing you do is mix some bondo up.place your piece in place with the bondo covering all sides...make it sit 1/8" in depth deeper then flush. Are you still here.

Let bondo setup..sand excess off.now you can begin to glass. Get some 7 oz mat cut strips saturate with resin and fill up your void.clean up with acetone. Make it super neat and not messy or you will be sanding for days.

Any other questions ask away.

tboner

for clarification:

1. make cardboard/foam template
2. sand bag and secure template about 1/4" below finished surface.
3. bondo over template
4. finish with glass,skim with filler if needed....

do I leave template in or trr and remove it from the backside of the bondo?

tboner

cant call at the moment..stuck at work.
I'll take you up on the call when i'm ready to start? (about a week as I'm waiting for my new pipes to arrive, bolt them up and decide if I want side or rear exhaust)

thanks for the help

Latest posts