FAST UP LET ME DOWN

Oneleg29

Hello All,
Hope this message finds you all well. SO, I installed a fast up "D-Bomb air tank system from the now "out of business" Misfit Industries. This "plug n play" system looked very solid and well put together. I had it all set up, filled the tank up, pressed the up button and she jumped up as she should. Started riding and the tail started dragging after just a couple hundred feet down the road. I checked for leaks, sprayed the soapy water, found ONE fitting that would leak if I grabbed the hose and wiggled it so I replaced the fitting and hose. Got her back up and put her away. Go check on her in the morning and she's down on the ground again. Dipped the tank under water, no leak. Checked all hoses and fittings, NO LEAK. Replaced valve bodies, Continues to drop on me. This thing is frustrating the hell out of me. I know that these are issues to expect when installed air rides on bikes but its what I wanted to do with this particular project so I am sticking with it until I figure this out (HOPEFULLY WITH HELP)

725Gus

Hey man. All I can tell you is that after you check every conceivable junction and device that could possibly leak, check them again. And when you're done with that. Start over again. Not trying to be a smart ass but like you said, it's the nature of the beast with air ride.

Don't know what year and model you're dealing with, but I chased my tail for months with the exact same problem on my '96 bagger and it finally surfaced in one of the front fork tubes. That monster threaded cap on top that has the threads in it for the factory air ride, well it leaked just enough that my old tired eyes never saw nor my deaf ears could hear. The only tell tale sign that eventually gave it away was the very light film of oil that was on my fairing. Replaced the cap, screwed in a new fitting and I was off to the races.

And if you wanna give it the good 'ol cheap out. Get the bike on a stand to relieve pressure on the front end. Clean the living hell outta the area and paste it (the base of the fitting where it enters the cap) with JB Weld. I did that on another bike and -knock on wood- it still doesn't leak to this day.

TriggerPullerUSMC

Good advice above- I know you may not want to hear this but are there parts you can get elsewhere and replace the current set- I am talking about valves and hoses for the most part and I am assuming the system isn't continue to cycle after you are done lifting it which might cause it to release pressure. I am probably way off but interested in helping you find a solution.

Oneleg29

Hey man. All I can tell you is that after you check every conceivable junction and device that could possibly leak, check them again. And when you're done with that. Start over again. Not trying to be a smart ass but like you said, it's the nature of the beast with air ride.

Don't know what year and model you're dealing with, but I chased my tail for months with the exact same problem on my '96 bagger and it finally surfaced in one of the front fork tubes. That monster threaded cap on top that has the threads in it for the factory air ride, well it leaked just enough that my old tired eyes never saw nor my deaf ears could hear. The only tell tale sign that eventually gave it away was the very light film of oil that was on my fairing. Replaced the cap, screwed in a new fitting and I was off to the races.

And if you wanna give it the good 'ol cheap out. Get the bike on a stand to relieve pressure on the front end. Clean the living hell outta the area and paste it (the base of the fitting where it enters the cap) with JB Weld. I did that on another bike and -knock on wood- it still doesn't leak to this day.
I was also thinking about the front fittings. I’m going to get on those ASAP. I sincerely thank you for bringing this up.

Oneleg29

Good advice above- I know you may not want to hear this but are there parts you can get elsewhere and replace the current set- I am talking about valves and hoses for the most part and I am assuming the system isn't continue to cycle after you are done lifting it which might cause it to release pressure. I am probably way off but interested in helping you find a solution.
Thank you for the help. In desperation, I have purchased and installed new hoses, fittings, valve bodies, and replaced the shocks with Dirty Air shocks (always wanted to replace the ones that came with the kit). I’m hoping that it’s the front fork fittings. I will keep you gentlemen posted.

Appling Bagger

Site Supporter
If possible, add a block valve and cheap psi gauge to isolate each section just to test. Turn on compressor, fill tank, close valve then see if gauge holds. Then repeat on the shocks, Pump them up then close valve and see if they hold.

Latest posts