Evo top end rebuild

• Help support Chopped Baggers :

98customRoadGlide

I need to do a top end rebuild on my Evo as its burning oil. Just wondering how hard it is to tear it apart and do a top end rebuild or buy a 85 cubic inch bolt on kit.

98customRoadGlide

That's why I was going to do the 85 cubic inch big bore kit. That's a bolt on kit for $800 and will give me more power. Don't know the cc it will give me but I'll have to do is take the top end off, new gaskets and bolt on the new pistons and jugs and be good to go.

Bill

I used to own some shit!
That's why I was going to do the 85 cubic inch big bore kit. That's a bolt on kit for $800 and will give me more power. Don't know the cc it will give me but I'll have to do is take the top end off, new gaskets and bolt on the new pistons and jugs and be good to go.

Should be pretty easy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Zach

Site Supporter
Evo's are pretty easy to work on. If you end up taking the cam out for any reason, be sure you get that breather gear timed correctly.

Evo's are notorious for weak cases. Big hp builds on stock cases generally don't last long. That's why everyone and their brother were knocking off Evo cases (Merch, STD, S&S, Ultima, etc). An 85" big bore kit should be no problem. Just stay away from stroker kits.

Zach

smokenjoep01

It would be right around 1400cc. If you can read a sevice manual and have a tork wrench, you should be able to knock it out. You cant go very big with the evo till you open the cylinder spigots. Its a air cooled motor. Not very difficult at all.

98customRoadGlide

I've never done it, but figured just taking the jugs off and pistons and putting that 85 cubic inch big bore kit shouldn't be too hard. It needs to be rebuilt, so instead of just honing out my stock jugs and slapping new rings and pistons why not spend a little more and get that big bore kit. The 85 cubic inch is the biggest I can go without having to do anything to the lower end

98customRoadGlide

I'll also have to rejet my carb but shouldn't have to go up too much and I could figure it out. I'd rather try to learn how to do it myself than pay Harley $1500 or so to rebuild my top end.

Zach

Site Supporter
I'll also have to rejet my carb but shouldn't have to go up too much and I could figure it out. I'd rather try to learn how to do it myself than pay Harley $1500 or so to rebuild my top end.

Off topic, but I just found out one of the local dealerships won't work on anything 10 years or older. There's a couple of independent shops that will work on anything, but get this..... Harley Corporate is now enforcing some stupid policy that it's dealerships can't sell genuine parts/accessories in stocking quantities or give wholesale costs. So they won't work on it and won't let other shops buy parts so they can work on the "older stuff".

Fuck the Factory.

Zach

98customRoadGlide

Is it good to buy the 85 bolt on kit with pistons, rings all ready to bolt on and go or be better to just get my cylinders bored .20 over and get new pistons

Zach

Site Supporter
Probably won't know until you pull them and have them checked for straightness. If they check out fine, no reason to buy new cylinders.

Zach

98customRoadGlide

Well if I have to pull the top end off I was figuring why not get a little more power out of her , that's why I was thinking the 85 big bore kit. But couldn't I bore my cylinders and bigger pistons and still achieve the same goal? Not sure I'm not a big motor guy. Just thinking if I do all this work why not get a little more power

Zach

Site Supporter
Probably should talk to a machine shop. I don't know the limits of Evo cylinders off hand. I do know that Hillside Performance still does a lot of Evo work. Might look them up. Frank at Dragos may be able to help too, I've only seen him discuss TC's though. He's a good guy to talk to though, straight shooter.

Zach

Latest posts