Engine reassembly question

725Gus

Finishing up a complete top end rebuild on my Evo. Cylinders and heads to machine, new pistons, valves, springs, etc. During the tear down, nothing was touched on the ignition side. Stator, cam, all left alone. When reassembling, I ran the #1 piston up to TDC and completed it. Ran the #2 to TDC and assembled it.

So my stupid question is, I shouldn't have to worry about being 180 off or anything like that, right? Even if the crank was spun a dozen times while it was torn down, as long as I found TDC on each cylinder when I put it back together again I should be golden I would think. Let me know if I am wrong or not. I need to sleep better at night again.

725Gus

Yes sir. Never took the snout off the cam cover, and didn't remove the camshaft at all.

I didn't think it was/is timing related, but I put the second cylinder on yesterday. Buttoned everything up and when I went to turn the engine by hand in 5th gear, it came to a brick wall. Even heard a metal on metal sound in one of the cylinders. And then I realized, one of my pushrods never really settled. I think I may have a tappet that is stuck and I'm hearing a valve on piston sound. Just wanted to make certain I didn't put anything in out of time.

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
Push rods probably out of socket..

It has everything to do with timing..

If the cam cover never came off then you have other issues..

Pushrods can come out on both ends or either end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketdelite

Site Supporter
If you have the pushrods in the correct spots “ there 4 different lengths” the lifter hadn’t bled down yet holding the valve open. Either way valve is most likly bent.

rocketdelite

Site Supporter
It hardly takes a kiss of a piston to bend the tulip of the valve. The valve can still seal but gets stuck in the guide making a bunch of noise. Might as well pull it apart check all the valves outside the heads, then inside the heads without valve springs to make sure they move freely. Then when you get it back together, make sure push rods are in correct holes and when your finishing assembling one cylinder don’t rotate engine till pushrods can be rotated by hand.

725Gus

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Embarrassed to say that I had to take it completely back down again after I realized that I installed my pistons backwards! Paid so much attention to making sure the arrows pointed to the exhaust ports that I never realized the depression on the flat side of the chamber. The noise I was hearing was the piston bottoming against the cylinder head. Thank the sweet lord that I never got to bump it over on the starter, this was all discovered while trying to turn it by hand.

Marc

""The Chopped Baggers Guy""
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Embarrassed to say that I had to take it completely back down again after I realized that I installed my pistons backwards! Paid so much attention to making sure the arrows pointed to the exhaust ports that I never realized the depression on the flat side of the chamber. The noise I was hearing was the piston bottoming against the cylinder head. Thank the sweet lord that I never got to bump it over on the starter, this was all discovered while trying to turn it by hand.
Happens to the best sometimes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts