DIY tank stretch

mysk

First post so sorry for asking something that I am sure have been mentioned before. Tried the search without any luck so maybee you guys could point me to the right thread.
I have a yamaha wildstar that will be rebuilt this winter. First project is to stretch the tank. I am thinking about fiber glass. Any one with som good ideas for this DIY project?

Fiberglass the entire tank or just the streched part?

Br

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting project you have ahead of you.

Are you trying to do this yourself? Are you comfortable with dealing with fiber glass?

mysk

Interesting project you have ahead of you.

Are you trying to do this yourself? Are you comfortable with dealing with fiber glass?
I made a pair of eyes lids for my first car some 20 years ago so no:) But I will do it myselfe yes. Eager to learn.

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
First post so sorry for asking something that I am sure have been mentioned before. Tried the search without any luck so maybee you guys could point me to the right thread.
I have a yamaha wildstar that will be rebuilt this winter. First project is to stretch the tank. I am thinking about fiber glass. Any one with som good ideas for this DIY project?

Fiberglass the entire tank or just the streched part?

Br
MYSK, I know that this does not sound like a big job but this is a much larger project than it looks like, expect it to take a year to do.
Ok now that I've said that it does sounds like a fun project, especially if you are willing to learn. I would cover the entire tank and make it a removable cover, I would split down the middle so it can be taken off and worked with. Doing just the rear would be hard to work with, to get it to flow the way you want it to. I would not use an existing tank cover unless it fit your tank, it would take too much modification to get it to fit. I would use an extra tank so that you do not have to do without a bike. I never use my stock stuff, it goes on a shelf in case I want to go back stock.
Get at least five pounds of modeling clay, you can get it at Michaels, (Craft Store) and is not expensive. Then just start adding it where ever you want the tank longer or where you want custom shapes. Some scallops on the side, or raised portions. Take your time, to get it as perfect as you can, once you get the shape you want, then you want to spray it with a release, PTFE, it is alike a spray on flexible plastic that keeps the resin from sticking to your plug (that is what you call the tank now that you are going over it)
Then you start laying your fiberglass. Make sure that you are able to pull off your glass layer, do half at time and overlap the two. Pop each off then trim them to fit each other after they are off. I'm not going to go into too much detail here, to start with you do not need it to thick but can build it up later as you do your sanding to get it smooth. Here is a little project a lot like you are talking about with some photos that i am still working on. I have taken a break, its riding season, and have been busy on other projects.
https://www.choppedbaggers.com/threads/custom-softail-bagger.25019/ If you have any questions about my project ask them in that thread.

Last edited:

mysk

MYSK, I know that this does not sound like a big job but this is a much larger project than it looks like, expect it to take a year to do.
Ok now that I've said that it does sounds like a fun project, especially if you are willing to learn. I would cover the entire tank and make it a removable cover, I would split down the middle so it can be taken off and worked with. Doing just the rear would be hard to work with, to get it to flow the way you want it to. I would not use an existing tank cover unless it fit your tank, it would take too much modification to get it to fit. I would use an extra tank so that you do not have to do without a bike. I never use my stock stuff, it goes on a shelf in case I want to go back stock.
Get at least ten pounds of modeling clay, you can get it at Michaels, (Craft Store) and is not expensive. Then just start adding it where ever you want the tank longer or where you want custom shapes. Some scallops on the side, or raised portions. Take your time, to get it as perfect as you can, once you get the shape you want, then you want to spray it with a release, PTFE, it is alike a spray on flexible plastic that keeps the resin from sticking to your plug (that is what you call the tank now that you are going over it)
Then you start laying your fiberglass. Make sure that you are able to pull off your glass layer, do half at time and overlap the two. Pop each off then trim them to fit each other after they are off. I'm not going to go into too much detail here, to start with you do not need it to thick but can build it up later as you do your sanding to get it smooth. Here is a little project a lot like you are talking about with some photos that i am still working on. I have taken a break, its riding season, and have been busy on other projects.
https://www.choppedbaggers.com/threads/custom-softail-bagger.25019/ If you have any questions about my project ask them in that thread.
This is just amazing. Thank you. Modeling clay. So smart! You do mean that I should use that clay form to create a plug right? Won't the area between the tank and the fiberglass,that is made up of clay be a problem? Won't there be som space between the finished result and the tank?

To learn is what made us escape the caves so what would life be without:)

Again. Thank you. Will take a look at your project!

HarleyCruiser

Site Supporter
This is just amazing. Thank you. Modeling clay. So smart! You do mean that I should use that clay form to create a plug right? Won't the area between the tank and the fiberglass,that is made up of clay be a problem? Won't there be som space between the finished result and the tank?

To learn is what made us escape the caves so what would life be without:)

Again. Thank you. Will take a look at your project!
Yes the tank plus the clay will make up the plug the shape that you want it. Yes there will be a space between the tank and cover. You make it in two pieces so that you can take the cover off and remove the clay. Once you get the final shape done, you epoxy the cover back on the tank and either put a dash to cover the seam or fiberglass the two pieces to together to make a one piece looking tank.
You do not want to try to extend the tank by cutting off the tail and using glass to hold gas, this is asking for problems.
You use Plastalina a oil base modeling clay that does not dry. I get mine at hobby lobby, I have some that is ten years old and still good, use it over and over.
Find a fiberglass supply house to buy your glass, and resin, get at least a gallon and buy the glass by the yard. I keep a roll but that gets expensive but last for years. Get at least a yard of pretty heavy mat and a yard of fairly light woven. Always measure your resin/hardener, use a small plastic cup to measure and a syringe for the hardener. You want to be constant with your ratio, if you get the hardener too weak it will not harden to strong it will get so hard that it feels like it will catch on fire. Paint the surface that you want to glass, then put the glass on it and then saturate it then add another layer. Use a fiberglass roller to push out extra resin, resin is weak, glass is strong. Do not coat the glass someplace else and then try to move it to your surface.
Use acetone to clean everything as soon as you can. Use the cheap paint brushes, you can clean them about three times then chuck them.
I've been playing around with epoxy and carbon fiber, and this is fun but for your project glass would be best, and cheapest.

mysk

Yes the tank plus the clay will make up the plug the shape that you want it. Yes there will be a space between the tank and cover. You make it in two pieces so that you can take the cover off and remove the clay. Once you get the final shape done, you epoxy the cover back on the tank and either put a dash to cover the seam or fiberglass the two pieces to together to make a one piece looking tank.
You do not want to try to extend the tank by cutting off the tail and using glass to hold gas, this is asking for problems.
You use Plastalina a oil base modeling clay that does not dry. I get mine at hobby lobby, I have some that is ten years old and still good, use it over and over.
Find a fiberglass supply house to buy your glass, and resin, get at least a gallon and buy the glass by the yard. I keep a roll but that gets expensive but last for years. Get at least a yard of pretty heavy mat and a yard of fairly light woven. Always measure your resin/hardener, use a small plastic cup to measure and a syringe for the hardener. You want to be constant with your ratio, if you get the hardener too weak it will not harden to strong it will get so hard that it feels like it will catch on fire. Paint the surface that you want to glass, then put the glass on it and then saturate it then add another layer. Use a fiberglass roller to push out extra resin, resin is weak, glass is strong. Do not coat the glass someplace else and then try to move it to your surface.
Use acetone to clean everything as soon as you can. Use the cheap paint brushes, you can clean them about three times then chuck them.
I've been playing around with epoxy and carbon fiber, and this is fun but for your project glass would be best, and cheapest.
Thank you for taking the time to put all your knowledge into writing. Will help alot. And now if you could just ask your government to apply the metric system this would just be amazing (just kidding)

THANK U!

Latest posts