DIY stretch

DMC

Site Supporter
How did you do the side covers? Any pics of the making of those?
Thanks
I'll see if I can find some of when I started.

I just covered the bike in plastic and popped the stock covers on the outside (through the plastic). Then I put up some cardboard to help direct the foam to where I wanted it to go.

uploadfromtaptalk1401164324361.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

20bagger03

Site Supporter
I just picked up some used Ness side covers. Can't wait to try and extend them using this process. I guess, when making the foam mold you shape it smaller so that you fill the space with glass and body filler? And then blend and sand a lot

Betiobastard

Site Supporter
Holyshit looks good!! Soon as it cools down I want to try the same thing to my stock bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChoppedRoadie

Site Supporter
Looks great! Guys, don't get overly excited but don't let me dampen your motivation either. DMC has done an outstanding, I mean OUTSTANDING job but this is no means easy. I made my own drop seat side covers and glassed them into my bags, stretched my BLB rear fender and built a one piece RG fairing for my current build using the same expandable foam and fiberglass. Matter of fact, DMC's thread inspired me to do so. Paint should be complete tonight. This was a MF'r of a project and is a lot of work, mess and dust. Some parts got made two or three times before I was happy. I can't believe how much sand paper I went thru and how much 'glass dust I sucked into my lungs. DMC makes this look simple. It is intense and hats off to him for a fantastic job and informative thread. I am no way near ready to do this again any time soon. Finished product is absolutely gratifing but getting there is a memorable journey. Good luck guys and I hope you have more fun at this than I did, lol.

reficul

Looks great! Guys, don't get overly excited but don't let me dampen your motivation either. DMC has done an outstanding, I mean OUTSTANDING job but this is no means easy. I made my own drop seat side covers and glassed them into my bags, stretched my BLB rear fender and built a one piece RG fairing for my current build using the same expandable foam and fiberglass. Matter of fact, DMC's thread inspired me to do so. Paint should be complete tonight. This was a MF'r of a project and is a lot of work, mess and dust. Some parts got made two or three times before I was happy. I can't believe how much sand paper I went thru and how much 'glass dust I sucked into my lungs. DMC makes this look simple. It is intense and hats off to him for a fantastic job and informative thread. I am no way near ready to do this again any time soon. Finished product is absolutely gratifing but getting there is a memorable journey. Good luck guys and I hope you have more fun at this than I did, lol.
+10 on that! I did a small fraction of fiberglass work and it can be frustrating but it's good feeling knowing you made something or tried to make something with your own fingers. Great work DMC

jetlag

Nomad
The other thing to keep in mind is the added weight to your saddlebags is no small thing. If your bags get too heavy, you will cut into your useful payload. The older bikes (pre-09) had a crummy saddlebag support system, and brackets are known to break on the left side, particularly if you're running a left side muffler that also is supported by the same bracket. If you're thinking about extending your bags with foam wrapped in fiberglass, I'd advise also switching to the heavier saddlebag supports from Custom Chrome.

DMC

Site Supporter
Thanks Chopped!

I won't be doing it again any time soon. I just wanted to see if I could do it. We'll see in a couple of weeks if the work has paid off.

Its messy, time consuming, and frustrating at times. Knowing what I know now, I could probably do it in 1/10th of the time. I've taken my time up until now. I'm getting sick of working on it.
I won't be wrapping up my fairing until the fall, so at least I have a winter project. Lol.

ChoppedRoadie

Site Supporter
First time I did the foam my mold had a leak. Went all over my lift but caught and bagged much of it bare hand. That crap is downright warm and sticker. Nothing would get it off my hands and out of the hair on my arms. Took most of it off, after it dried, with a razor blade. Yeah, I won't being doing this again for a long while. You've done an exceptional job brother!

DMC

Site Supporter
uploadfromtaptalk1404516507119.jpg

Got the side covers primed. Starting to come together.

Latest posts